The forum’s tele-meeting members

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So I tested Jitsi meet (Jitsi Meet) with Capt. Vick Capt. Vick . It seems to work fine, so I propose to use that next time.

Few things I noticed about Jitsi:
- No scheduled meetings, so I only get a link once I started the meeting. I think we'll need a new way of distributing a link when we do the next meeting, maybe use a PM thread here on the forum?
- no special app needed on a computer, works with the webbrowser
- Firefox crashed while I was waiting for Vick. Chrome worked great, so I think I will advice on using Chrome or Edge as a webbrowser
- App was needed on Capt. Vick Capt. Vick 's android phone, but worked great, no account needed.
- Quality on my laptop (Chromium, Linux) in HD was great.

One thing I would still like to test is if Jitsi is also blocked in Iran ;)

The reason to test Jitsi was:
1. Free and opensource
2. No time limitation like with Zoom in the last meeting
3. No account necessary

Few things I noticed about Jitsi:
- No scheduled meetings, so I only get a link once I started the meeting. I think we'll need a new way of distributing a link when we do the next meeting, maybe use a PM thread here on the forum?
Maybe we could emulate the old time phone ladder. Each mod sends the link to five members, each of whom sends to five more, etc. Just a thought.

The website is open and working! But I need to find a proper Webcam / Microphone.

And just a suggestion: Why not starting a discord server? I know it hasn't video option, but we can use it anywhere / anytime!
Agreed, I already have one which I would volunteer to use for meet ups, but in reality, Discord is free so one of the mods could set up one for the forum easily.

Don't know, I never used discord, I only know it because my youngest son uses it while playing MineCraft :lol:
It's real easy to set up, just visit the website and the setup instructions are super simple. It will generate an address and any other Discord users can then access it, just send it to members and voila! If you're interested I can give you a hand this evening USA EST i.e. it's 11:00 am now, so in about 7 hours.

Maybe we could emulate the old time phone ladder. Each mod sends the link to five members, each of whom sends to five more, etc. Just a thought.
Handling too many people is difficult! It would be better to make an announcement for the next meeting, Wherever and whenever it is planed to be. some have disabled PM, and some never look / read them. Also, being sent as an announcement, Allows daily visitors that are not much active (those who just read and rarely join in), have a chance to see and read it.

Agreed, I already have one which I would volunteer to use for meet ups, but in reality, Discord is free so one of the mods could set up one for the forum easily.

That's great! Or we can simply make a new one.

Don't know, I never used discord, I only know it because my youngest son uses it while playing MineCraft :lol:

Some people might have problems (personal or else) or not interested in Video tele-meeting, so that would be an option for that group.

Also have in mind, we can make some kind of Podcasts for / from some of very interesting topics available in Forum! I do not know anything about Copyright laws in other countries, but I think it would not be a big problem.

some kind of "how to expand" suggestions!

The website is open and working! But I need to find a proper Webcam / Microphone.

And just a suggestion: Why not starting a discord server? I know it hasn't video option, but we can use it anywhere / anytime!
I second this. Also, I am pretty sure that you can in fact video chat via discord.

You need an account. I have the app on my phone because of a few HS buddies. I personally do not like discord. Not at all.
Okay, I feared as much. That's a disadvantage. Jitsi does not need an account to set it up or to participate. Discord doesn't seem to be too privacy conscious.
For my info, what is it in discord you don't like Chris?

btw, the opensource nature of Jitsi seems to make it possible to even run your own Jitsi server and integrate it in your own stuff. Maybe Horse would like to integrate it in the forum software? :lol:

Okay, I feared as much. That's a disadvantage. Jitsi does not need an account to set it up or to participate. Discord doesn't seem to be too privacy conscious.
For my info, what is it in discord you don't like Chris?

btw, the opensource nature of Jitsi seems to make it possible to even run your own Jitsi server and integrate it in your own stuff. Maybe Horse would like to integrate it in the forum software? :lol:

I don't like the formatting or how you use it. It's like tweeting in my opinion. It's best suited for short messages, not detailed conversations. I've never used the video option though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back