The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To me it would be the F-4, there was simply no aircraft on the East-Block side that could seriously challenge this weapon-system for 20 years. In the Korea war a Mig15 was still competitive to any Western aircraft even its best the F-86. (Ignoring pilot and tactical standards).

Besides ABC weapons probably the F-4 was one of the main factors / contributors to ensure an ongoing cold war instead of a hot war. It ensured Israel's survival in 1973.

Even a 1st and 2nd Golf war could have been conducted and won by this formidable aircraft without any F-15 around. Why the RAF never used it during the Falkland Conflict is a mystery to me. Maybe the RAF types had no in-flight refueling system?

View attachment 62530

Regards
Kruska

Even a 1st and 2nd Golf war could have been conducted and won by this formidable aircraft without any F-15 around.

So was the 1st and 2nd Golf War fought at the Filton Golf Course or the famous Pebble Beach Course.

Just kidding my friend, I know what you mean. I just thought I would have some fun.

I do however disagree with you that the F-4 could have won the air war of the 1st Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom if the Iraqi Airforce had actually launched.

The Iraqi Airforce did have some formidable aircraft including Mig-29s. They just never launched.

Sorry the F-4 is a great aircraft but she is out of date and there are plenty of aircraft in the world that are much better because she is so old and outdated.

I am surprised the Luftwaffe even still has any at all. I know they are getting rid of them and the remaining ones are only used for Recon purposes.

I was flying a mission back in 2006 down here in Bavaria and we had two Germany F-4s fly right over the top of our helicopter.

She is a fine choice though for best of all time. I would not vote for her to be the best of all time. Not when there are aircraft such as the F-14 and F-15 which clearly are better in all aspects, but it is your opinion and you are allowed to have it. I would not never judge anyone who picked the F-4.

DerAdlerIstGelandet;Sorry the F-4 is a great aircraft but she is out of date and there are plenty of aircraft in the world that are much better because she is so old and outdated.

Hello D.A.I.G.

I did not understand this poll as referring to a present "most" modern a/c, why should a Sabre or F-104 be then included?

Why surprised? As I forwarded the F-4F could still do the job, and due to budget restrains it is still more economical to maintain a F-4F JG then to purchase a Eurofighter or F-15 JG.

Regards
Kruska

No please dont take me wrong. This is about all time and therefore your vote is just fine. I was just explaining why I would not vote for it.

You views of the F-4 are just fine...

Long time since I voted but I'm sure I voted for the F-15.

The F-86 is my favorite jet though, awesome fighter a/c, the best of its day.

Hello totenkopf,

I think the "Toilet" was still far more promising that this:

The Vigilante, the Arrow and the BAC TSR.2 where somhow all kinda alike. And the main contender somehow was always the F-111

Is there any thread around like; most useless or ugliest jet?

Regards
Kruska

For best fighter, I'll go with the F-15. I know it doesn't have as lengthy a service record as the F-4, but it has enough to demonstrate that its success is no fluke. And the fighter-bomber derivative (F-15E) has been a smashing success also. None of the others even come close. It has been the dominant fighter for over 3 decades.

The inclusion of the MiG-29 seems a bit odd. If memory serves me (riiight...), doesn't it have a combat record of 0-12, or something like that? While I know that it's probably been poorly served by its pilots, one still expects that 'The Greatest Fighter' title should go to one with a successful combat record...

The discussion regarding the AVRO Arrow's possible influence on US combat AC reflects the common apocryphal myths that have surrounded that plane since its cancellation. It is Canada's equivalent to the BAC TSR.2 (not its combat role per se, but as an expression of national technological pride), and like the TSR.2, its marvelous abilities only increases with time. Both AC were overly ambitious, over-specialized, and too expensive to be supported by their respective nations. All moot, really, as neither would have seen action during their expected service life.

I'm sure that some use was probably made of the technical data garnered during the development of the Arrow, and that the US aircraft companies benefited from the experience of the AVRO engineers that joined them after the cancellation, but I don't think any US combat AC is a direct descendent of the Arrow. The F-106 is the nearest equivalent, albeit much less ambitious in scope.

The nearest equivalents to the Arrow are Russian...MiG-25/31, Tu-128, and the Su-15, although none of these combine all the promised capabilities of the Arrow.

JL

Users who are viewing this thread