The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That was the reason it was designed to begin with!!!!
The multi-role philosophy came almost a decade later when by that time technology allowed modern combat aircraft to perform multi roles effectively.
The 104 was better used by the Italians until 2003? as an interceptor could climb as fast and higher plus it was also a multi role fighter . Would also opt for the F4 in the same time frame as did the RAF later . The EE Lightning was a maintainence heavy aircraft and I don't believe that was in the design specs

The history of the Lightning makes good reading.

Gething points out in his book 'Sky Guardians', that the design originates as far back as 1949, in response for a high speed research aircraft, but this crystallised into a "quick reaction' interceptor, as by 1953 the threat from high altitude bombers was very real for the UK.

It's short range/endurance was of little importance then as the aircraft was only considered a "stop-gap" (under the direction of Duncan Sandy's White Paper) until replaced by Surface to Air Missiles.

You know the rest. 'Thinking' changed and that "stop-gap" lasted 31 years. The endurance problem became an issue during this long period, culminating in the F3/F6 designs.

i dont know if f-104 was a great dogfighter, but in mine opinion its the most beautifull jet aircraft made since the me 262.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qMTrqGMNI

i also likes the mirages by its beauty

what i know about modern aviation thats is all about computer systems, very diferent from 40´s wheres the guys should be real ninjas to stay alive. i just figure when microsoft will launch a windows vista fighter edition, then the guys would be a real headcase...

Yeah nice clip, however it must be an unwritten rule that every aircraft video now has massive attack's teardrop as background track.

its not really a fighter but ive always had a quaint feeling for the U-2. but fighterwise i would have a tie between the F-82 Twin Mustang, the F-104 Starfighter, the F-4 Phantom II, or the F-117 Nighthawk

its not really a fighter but ive always had a quaint feeling for the U-2. but fighterwise i would have a tie between the F-82 Twin Mustang, the F-104 Starfighter, the F-4 Phantom II, or the F-117 Nighthawk

The F-117 is not a fighter either. It is a ground attack aircraft. The "F" designation is misleading.

Just curious...

Has anyone mentioned the F-5 Freedom Fighter?

I believe it is (or was?) the "aggressor fighter" of choice, by both the Navy and the Air Force, in their respective Air Combat Training Programs.

If you think about how many lives were saved, due to the training those pilots received in those programs, I would think it would rate, at least, in the top 10 of "The Greatest Fighter Jets of all-time".

Elvis

sorry you are right i was thinking ground attack might have something to do with bombing grounded aircraft but not in the air

As Joe already pointed out, it has never been used in a fighter role, but even if it had that does not make it a fighter.

The Harrier has been used in air to air, but it is not a fighter either...

Users who are viewing this thread