Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

• Constantine Cantacuzine

• Richard Bong

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the thing, as soon as the thread gets split off both topics die ;)

I havent actually voted in this poll yet, so ill go with Richard Bong. 8)

Can i ask u a question???

Who do u think flew against tougher opposistion...
Kozhedub vs. German Aces, or Bong vs. Japanese Studen... I mean Aces...

Which aircraft vs aircraft comparison is a greater disadvantage...
La-5 vs Bf-109G, or P-38J vs Ki 43 I Hayabusa (Oscar)...

One guy had 62 victories and flew to wars end, the other was sent home after 40...

Who do u think flew against tougher opposistion...
Kozhedub vs. German Aces, or Bong vs. Japanese Studen... I mean Aces...

Which aircraft vs aircraft comparison is a greater disadvantage...
La-5 vs Bf-109G, or P-38J vs Ki 43 I Hayabusa (Oscar)...

One guy had 62 victories and flew to wars end, the other was sent home after 40...

The question is basically who had a harder time reaching his final Victory Total, Kozhedub or Bong????

Bong flew a superior P-38 to Kozhedubs wooden La-5... Bong flew against less-competent pilots than Kozhedub... Bong flew against inferior aircraft, while the -109's Kozhedub flew against were better than his La-5...

The point is, it took more talent for Kozhedub to reach 62 kills than it did for Bong to reach 40.....

Yeah I kinda know that...but I voted based on my favourite, i never said Bong was better than Kozhedub, did I. What was the point in reviving this?

@ PLAN D

Hello Gentlemen,

this might clarify some things!

Rundstedt was recalled to active duty in March 1942 as Commander in Chief West once more. Hitler's "divide and rule" policy, however, meant that Rundstedt, to his frustration, had direct authority only for defending the coast of occupied western Europe against invasion. A further problem was the low quality of troops assigned to him, with better formations being constantly moved to combat crises in other theatres. Matters improved when Hitler issued his Directive No. 51 in November 1943 and gave greater priority to the defence of the West. Even so, Rundstedt was suspicious of Erwin Rommel's appointment as commander in chief of Army Group B, since he did not consider him suited to such a high command. The main point of issue between the two was the location of the panzer reserves, but, in fact, the argument was more between Rommel and Leo Geyr Von Schweppenburg, who commanded them under the umbrella of Panzer
Group West. Although Rundstedt 's compromise solution of allotting some armour to Rommel to deploy close to the coast satisfied neither Rommel nor Geyr, Rundstedt and Rommel did make good their differences before the invasion took place.

Rundstedt kept an open mind regarding where the invasion would take place, believing that it could come anywhere between Boulogne and Normandy. Like the other German commanders, he thought that it would be mounted in May and was taken by surprise when OVERLORD began, having been about to set out from his headquarters in Paris on an inspection of the south-western part of the Cotentin Peninsula. He was content to give Rommel a free hand over the conduct of operations and devoted much of D-day to persuading Armed Forces High Command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht3/4OKW) to release Panzer Group West to him. He was not prepared, however, to allow Rommel to use the two panzer divisions positioned north of the Seine, for fear that the main invasion was still to come. It soon became clear to both Rundstedt and Rommel that, having failed to prevent the Allies from establishing a beachhead, it was imperative to withdraw from Normandy to a more defendable line. They argued this to Hitler at Margival, near Soissons, on 17 June, but Hitler refused to listen. Rundstedt continued to pressure OKW over withdrawing his forces, so much so that on 3 July he was replaced by the more pliable Field Marshal Hans Günther von Kluge.

I know all this because i am a warrior tank commander in the british army and the tactics we use today we have taken from the germans during WW2 as they were the leading taticians in that time.

Questions, problems, quiries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back