The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, many nice firearms! Here's my contribution...

Springfield 1911 with Pachmayr grips and a Walther P22.

IMG_7371a.jpg

IMG_7603a-1.jpg

I kinda like those P22's. I heard a guy at the local gun shop say you can almost get those things to shoot fully auto by pulling the trigger fully once, holding it down and then just jiggle your trigger finger side to side a little to get additional rounds to fire. No need to let loose the trigger fully. Wonder if he was full of beans. I'm sure you could get a good 12" group doing that;)

Javlin - Give a date, time, and location of that shooting get together and I'm there;)

I kinda like those P22's. I heard a guy at the local gun shop say you can almost get those things to shoot fully auto by pulling the trigger fully once, holding it down and then just jiggle your trigger finger side to side a little to get additional rounds to fire. No need to let loose the trigger fully. Wonder if he was full of beans. I'm sure you could get a good 12" group doing that;)

Javlin - Give a date, time, and location of that shooting get together and I'm there;)

its called a "bump fire" and it does work and with almost all semis...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx-9jDLGyUY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumQvPGQNis

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMoIocLvPSA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyd67QdAQS4

Well, I learned something new today. Now I need to go out and pick up a semi-auto shotgun and give it a try.

Looks like just another way to waste ammo.
You can tell they have no barrel control with most of their concentration going toward holding that other finger just right so the recoil of gun bounces the trigger on and off your finger.

I don't have any pictures of my guns, but I do have a list:

1939 Mosin-Nagant. 7.62mm Russian bolt-action rifle with 12" to 15" cruciform, socket-type bayonet

1941 Tokarev SKS ( SVT ). Russian 7.62mm semi-auto rifle

1952 Mauser. Spanish-built copy of German 7.92mm Mauser Karabiner 98K with 9" knife type bayonet.

1940 Mauser. Turkish-built copy of German 7.92mm Gewehr 98 with same bayonet as above. This is a long barrelled weapon. The Mauser above is of the later, shorter barrel type.

Undated SMLE Number 4 Mk.1 .303in. Enfield rifle with 9' spike style bayonet

1945 SMLE Number 5 Mk.1 .303in rifle. Also known as the " Jungle Carbine ".

And a Remington Model 12A, pump-action .22 rifle. Not sure of the age, but they stopped making then in 1936.

Chris

And a Remington Model 12A, pump-action .22 rifle. Not sure of the age, but they stopped making then in 1936.
Chris

That's kinda funny. I was just at the local Cabela's Sporting Goods store last night and they have a Model 12 for sale in the Gun Library. Looked to be in pretty nice condition for it's age, but the asking price of $585 was a bit more that I could spend. Was a neat little rifle though.

That is on the want list.Does it function okay?

"1945 SMLE Number 5 Mk.1 .303in rifle. Also known as the " Jungle Carbine ".

not a big fan of the Endfield but that version is kinda on the list.Cheers

Last edited:

That is on the want list.Does it function okay?

"1945 SMLE Number 5 Mk.1 .303in rifle. Also known as the " Jungle Carbine ".

not a big fan of the Endfield but that version is kinda on the list.Cheers

The last time I fired the SKS was way back in the mid 80's. It worked okay then. Due to a lack of ammo, it hasn't been fired since.

Well...last weekend I finally made time to take my Umarex (UX22 M4 Carbine) out and run some rounds through it. I've only been wanting to do that since I bought it Christmas week of 2009...

It has substantial weight for being a .22, and feels handles much like it's 5.56/.223 big brother (AR15A2/M4 Carbine).

With the OEM iron sights, I was putting a nice tight group at 30 40 yards though next time out I'll go for 50+ yards.

Only drawback to the overall experience, is that I was getting an occasional stovepipe and once even suffered the mother of all jambs. I suspect that the cheapass box of ammo that I grabbed at Big 5 might be the root cause of this, and next time will run some premium ammo through it for comparison. The ammo I took was the Remington .22 LR "Golden Bullet" (36 gr. bullet) which may be ok for rigs like a Ruger 10-22 but the Umarex may need something a little hotter to work the bolt properly.

Don't think I posted pix when I brought it home, so here's a couple of photos of it, to give an idea of what it looks like for those who may not be familiar with the Umarex M4.

Attachments

• IMGP8647-rs.jpg
    IMGP8647-rs.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMGP8648-rs.jpg
    IMGP8648-rs.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 470
Nice little setup GS and yes suspect the ammo since we are dealing r/f but can this girl shoot c/f with a simple conversion?I have seen it the other way around from c/f > r/f with a simple kit.Kevin

I guess it's the basic 22 r/f not magnums?

Last edited:
They specify LR r/f as the only ammo to be used, unlike my HR .22 wheel gun, for example, that can take mag/LR/long/short.

I've seen some discussion regarding c/f mods for the Umarex, but Walther made this in such a way that it wouldn't be possible to make any changes except for exterior gingerbread.

If you want, I can post some detailed pix regarding the innards (bolt, reciever, etc) to see what you think...

That really will probably not help much GS.The stuff I collect all have some wood on them and I have never owned this platform shot a couple but thats about it.And as I am typing I can almost see the conversion from c/f to r/f.I would think another piece has to go in front of the OEM bolt to 1)take up the space and 2) to convert to r/f.Wereas the other way around would require at least a bolt change provided the slot in receiver could hold it.

nice piece! that is way better than the 22 versions of the ar and ak from the 80s 90s. the ammo you are able to shoot is going to be limited by the dimentions of the mag, the chamber, and the recoil spring. 22 shorts or birdshot rounds probably wont have enough umph to work the action and 22magnum rounds most likely wont fit in the magazine or the breech. look on some forums for the hottest 22lr or go buy ONE box of a certain make and try it. if it works without flaw go for more. there was a version of the CCI stinger that used to do well in just about everything. but i havent bought ammo in a LONG time so... also, HOWEVER, 22 semis seem to have this tendancy to jam on occasion. no matter how well made or the ammo. 22rf is just a dirty firing round. if you are going to fire a bunch i would run a swab down the barrel ( from the breech to the muzzle) after 50 or so rounds.
as for a c/f conversion....for that you would most likely have to change the whole upper receiver ( including the bolt carrier ) and depending on how it is set up...get a new return/recoil spring. plus you would have to get a mag to accomidate the new round. the biggest factor here besides the money is IF the lower can withstand the stress of the bigger round. eating a bolt carrier or losing fingers is not something you want to do. in short you might as well just buy a new gun!
as for converting to full auto..there may be legal kits out there. check all BATF regs. converting by yourself is a big no no and you wouldnt want to do that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No converting to F/A .There are to be only so many F/A available from here on out unless the ATF wants to change,last I read was about 250,000 F/A in the US?Gun manufactures can of course make for the PD's and the Military but these are what are called Post-May examples only for dealers and the afore mentioned.Now I have read though some years back one can make his own F/A with his own serial # with approval pending from the ATF.The said individual has to pay a yearly tax like $500 maybe more now as long as they own the gun.That being said "as long as you own the gun" can never be resold so I take the ATF would destroy to eleviate the tax.Now I would not take that as gospel Bobby on the blue part something I always remembered while researching an FG42 being reproduced out West(AZ? 2004?) and not a FA but semi and questions coming about the production and the ATF's involvement.There were some MP44's being produced I thought in Central Europe in Semi and made it as far as Canada and if I remember right the importer was Marstar or something of the like.The ATF never would give the OK on the rifle saying it was still to similiar to the FA version.

Last edited:
they way F/As worked was this. you had 2 pictures taken and 2 sets of fingerprints from the local CLEO ( chief law enforcement officer ) of your area. you took those to your local dealer who had the form which you filled out in dulpicate. a picture and finger print card went on each one. these were for 1 specific NFA weapon. These also had to have the signature of the CLEO...and then were sent to the FBI along with a check for $200 for silencers and F/As... $5.00 for sawed off shotguns or any "other weapon" ( this was in the 80s and 90s). after they did their background check you got one of the applications back with a HUGE stamp ( postage style ) that said "transfer tax". and you were allowed then to pick up your weapon. you only paid that tax once. during daddy bush's regime they passed the machinegun ban for civilian use. all LEO and MIL were exempt from this. the ban too effect several months after it was passed SO being the good capitalists that they were the gun manufactureres worked 24 hours a day and cranked out recievers with serial numbers. prior to the ban there were 100k F/As. the day the ban took effect there were more than 500k on paper. the BATF reviewed them physically....before allowing any to be transfered. they disallowed all but 150k additional. companies had long pipes with numbers stamped on them for sten receivers. so that is how you get the current number of 250k.
i know this is long winded. prior to the ban, you could purchase the parts kit for whatever you liked....mp44s, mg 42s, m60s, stens, m16s, etc. you could then just purchase the receiver from the class 2 manufacterer and go through the process above. they also made auto sears for the m16 and registered trigger units...all had papers AND are considered in that 250K number. after the ban. you could buy what is available....complete guns, receivers or trigger units only ( if you can find them ) but the price also jumped to $500 ( still only one time ). you also agree to certain provisos like they can demand to inspect your firearm at any time of the day or night...and you must notify authorities if you plan the transport the weapon out of your area and only YOU are permitted access to these weapons.
so he can purchase a registered ( manufactured prior to 1986) auto sear or trigger assembly if they are available.
damn i need a nap now....

I thought I heard the price had jumped :banghead: cause I have a Semi -Thompson a West Hurley version I like to get done to a SBR version :banghead: but what you said sums it up.Now do you remember or know? I think the Law goes all the parts for a FA cannot be under one roof or let's say location/address?

Well, in my opinion (such as it is), there is no real reason for a person to own a f/a weapon unless it is a special interest item, such as a WWI, WWII or prohibition era weapon (just for example). I know that sounds kind of narrow-minded, but for engaging an enemy or a target, why hose it down when all it takes is one shot (typically)?
Of course, this applies to "shouldered" weapons; not to weapons such as the M2 .50/M1919A6 .30, GAU-8/A, MK15 Phalanx and similiar ordinance, which rate +10 in the badass (and incredibly useful) category...

As far as my Umarex goes, it looks VERY similiar to the AR15/M4, but the internals are completely different. I had familiarized myself with it, but went and took a much closer look after this morning's discussion. Now I'm not a gunsmith, I'll leave that fine art to the experts, but it looks to me like it would take WAY too much work (time money) to try to modify it to be anything other than a .22 LR r/f setup. A person would do better to actually go out and purchase a c/f rifle in thier desired caliber, if that's what they are looking for unless they are really up for a challenge. In my case, I rarely modify any of my weapons, unless it's for sighting, grips or the stock...and even those situations are few and far between.

Anyway, I grabbed a couple shots to give you a good idea of what's going on under the hood of a Umarex.

Both photos show the Umarex M4 on the left and an actual Colt AR15A2 on the right. You can see clearly how the receiver feed of the Umarex are designed to be for a .22 r/f only, and there is no way to swap out internals between the Umarex and a Colt c/f AR (or M4/AR15/M16 clone).

Attachments

• IMGP15345[950x632].jpg
    IMGP15345[950x632].jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 591
  • IMGP15346[950x632].jpg
    IMGP15346[950x632].jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 656
Oh Yea the Umarex is totally different as well the make up of the metal involved being of lighter grade.My West hurley is a light receiver 1928 model and while I have a FA lower(from Russia) it would take a bout 5-8 hrs of work just to make it adapt plus other work on the upper.That being said as a light model she has an AL receiver and would never last long in a FA mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back