The japanese sword jet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pampa14

Airman 1st Class
May 14, 2013
I share with you this full report about the Japanese fighter jet Mitsubishi J8M, an effort to combat the growing advance of Allied bombers over Japan. Through the link below you will find a lot of information, photos, some rare and never seen by me before, details and in addition, diagrams and views. All this you can find by visiting the link below:

Aviação em Floripa: J8M: A espada a jato japonesa

Best Regards!

Looks like the Me 163 made it to Japan
Technically, no...the Japanese purchased a complete Me163 (airframe and engine) but it was lost at sea when the two subs carrying the aircraft, components and parts were sunk .

So they built the J8M/KI-200 from the Me163 instruction manual that was in the possession of Commander Iwaya, who narrowly missed being lost at sea aboard the I-29, which was also carrying Me163 components and construction blueprints/manuals.

It took alot of trial and error, but they managed to build 7 of these and about 50 MXY8/Ku-13 trainers. So the majority of "Shusui" photos that you see, aren't actually the Shusui at all, but the trainers.

A quick way to tell for the most part, is the trainers are missing the generator prop in the nose, don't have the cannon at the base of each wing and lack the exhaust shroud at the base of the tail.

The first photo in pampa's gallery is a J8M, hard to tell in the second. The third certainly is but the 4th photo is a trainer.

The 5th, 6th and 7th photos is a J8M, as you can see the rocket's exhaust and cannon, and so on.

The golden yellow painted J8M Shusui is on display at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California.

The title of this thread should be renamed "Mitsubishi J8M Shusui rocket fighter" because the J8M, as a Japanese copy of the Me 163, was rocket-powered, and the name Shusui means "sharp sword" in reference to the death stroke administered by a samurai sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back