The last A6M5 with Original Sakae Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flash_Taco

Airman
May 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
I want to share this video that I took last Saturday at the Planes of Fame museum at Chino California. Their collection hold the very last A6M5 Japanese zero captured by the USAF during WWII. It was flown by Lindberg to tests its flying attributes and was latter acquired by the Planes of Fame Museum. I can only say, it was such privilege to see this beautiful bird fly.

Attachments

• A6M5.mov
    6.4 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Thanks for nice sharing, Flash_Taco.
I have never seen such a funny gentleman of the last scene for more than twenty years here in Japan. His time is totally stopping:)

Many thanks for sharing. What a beautifully designed airplane for the era it was designed in. I did not realise that it had no flaps. The pilot must have been really short. Boone Guyton, ( the main test pilot for the Corsair program, who was 6 foot four inches) said that when he flew the A6M he could not close the canopy. That pilot could hardly be seen.

That's former USN b/n 5357 (they used the Japanese number). My father flew it when it was much newer, back in February and March 1945 - he thought it handled real sweet, an improvement over b/n 4593, the A6M2 retrieved from the Aleutians.

Rich

Rich, many thanks for your info. Always good to get really informed posts. I may have seen that airplane on the ground at Dallas, Love Field, at an air show in about 1990. It was parked near a Corsair. Huge difference in size.

What an honor, Rich. I am sure you could write a book about all the stories you've heard from him (If you have not already done that)

Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back