The main reason why war in Europe broke out during WW2?

Which was the most deciding factor to make WW2 happen?

• The treaty of Versaille

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • The lack of a military response to the re-militarization of the Rhineland

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The lack of a military response to the Anschlus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The lack of a "no" in Munich

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Adolf Hitler

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • German Industry's backing of Hitler

• All countries continued trade with Germany during the 30's

• Alois Hitler and Klara Pölzl

• The massive amount of antisemitism in the world at the time

• American isolationism

• The great depression

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The - at the time - very militaristic german heritage

• This is redundant - WW2 was the inevitable clash of all the major ideologies of the time

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I voted for the last choice. I believe the ideaologies of the different governments were made to clash at some point. Versailles was a focal point and nothing more. You have to remember the tenants of the Nazis, the Aryan Superrace doctrine that at some point would involve the rest of Europe. Same with Mussolini and to an extent Stalin.

Versailles and the Depression and all the other economic hardships and hatreds allowed these governments to be hostile. It was inevitable.

It's a chicken and egg story, really. I believe the rising of the NSDAP only occurred after the economic climate went down hill. So the depression really helped Hitler into the saddle.

It's a chicken and egg story, really. I believe the rising of the NSDAP only occurred after the economic climate went down hill. So the depression really helped Hitler into the saddle.

but more of it was just demagogery by Hitler, the German economy was recovering, and many of the hated Versaille clauses had been forgotten.

Hitler aquired power much the same way Mugabe did, he stole it!

I agree, Marcel. hatreds were just simmering below the surface and it took these leaders with their crazy ideas to drag the countries into them. I'm sure most countries have these thoughts but there are too many people who are fail-safes to let anything happen. Doesn't mean there not there.

All it took was all the right madmen in all the right positions (not just Axis) and you have a major catastrophe. WW2 started the downhill slide of western civilization.

but more of it was just demagogery by Hitler, the German economy was recovering, and many of the hated Versaille clauses had been forgotten.
The economy was not recovering in 1933. And even if it was, the sentiments were already created and it would have taken a few years of prosperity to wear off. It was a natural reaction of the German people. You see it everywhere, when economy is going down, people tend to vote more for these kind of people, who can talk very well, point the finger elsewhere for blaming (jews, Muslims, capitalists, communists) and seem to have a clear, harsh solution to the problems. We have it here in the Netherlands as well, it's called Pim Fortuyn and Geert Wilders.

That sort of thing is everywhere. In the US, its called "politics". Mud-slinging has taken over for "rights of the people".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back