The next F-35 scandal - hilarious!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am wondering if this particular issue is a recent one. I thought I remembered hearing about a new DFARS rule, so I asked around a bit.

DFARS Case 2020-D007 (87 Fed. Reg. 52342) effective 25 August 2022
DFARS Case 2022-D010 (87 Fed. Reg. 52339) effective 25 August 2022

The parts that apply are summarized as follows:

"Beyond tantalum metals and alloys, other covered materials included in Section 849 include: samarium-cobalt magnets; neodymium-iron-boron magnets; tungsten metal powder; and tungsten heavy alloy."

"As has been the case since the interim rule was first published in September 2020, which updated DFARS 252.225-7052 to include tantalum, this final rule prohibits the acquisition of any "covered material" that is melted or produced in any of the prohibited countries (China, Iran, North Korea, Russia) . . ."

Last edited:
I am wondering if this particular issue is a recent one. I though I remembered hearing about a new DFARS rule, so I asked around a bit.

DFARS Case 2020-D007 (87 Fed. Reg. 52342) effective 22 August 2022
DFARS Case 2022-D010 (87 Fed. Reg. 52339) effective 22 August 2022

The parts that apply are summarized as follows:

"Beyond tantalum metals and alloys, other covered materials included in Section 849 include: samarium-cobalt magnets; neodymium-iron-boron magnets; tungsten metal powder; and tungsten heavy alloy."

"As has been the case since the interim rule was first published in September 2020, which updated DFARS 252.225-7052 to include tantalum, this final rule prohibits the acquisition of any "covered material" that is melted or produced in any of the prohibited countries (China, Iran, North Korea, Russia) . . ."
Hmmmm. One reg comes out in August, the second becomes effective in October. Sounds like a retro-active hack job.

Buffnut raises a strong point. Apart from the likelihood that China already has full info on F-35s down to the rivets, malware remains a concern. About 15 years ago I was advised not repeat not to bring thumb drives or CDs to my Naval War College lectures. A huge % of the world supply comes from China, and the navy (undoubtedly among others) wanted to avoid embedded bugs. No biggie, though, as I emailed my Powerpoints.

A large part of the restrictions is in order to maintain a supply chain in case of hostilities or peaceful boycott - ie anything that is of import and can be manufactured at home or in specific trusted countries is to be made at home or in the specified trusted countries.

We are seeing the results of what can happen when important bits and pieces are made elsewhere and a war starts - ie Russia and the semi-conductor industry. No chips = no new guided weapons/sensors, or new spare parts that use chips.

Buffnut raises a strong point. Apart from the likelihood that China already has full info on F-35s down to the rivets, malware remains a concern. About 15 years ago I was advised not repeat not to bring thumb drives or CDs to my Naval War College lectures. A huge % of the world supply comes from China, and the navy (undoubtedly among others) wanted to avoid embedded bugs. No biggie, though, as I emailed my Powerpoints.
Thumb drives have been a big "no-no" at many government facilities (to include the military) for years. When I was at the Air Force Academy, the IT folks had it set up so if you inserted a thumb drive that wasn't configured properly it locked up your computer. During a visit from the FAA, an inspector put his thumb drive into my computer when I had my back turned. As luck would have it, his thumb drive was "cleared" by his IT folks (without his knowledge) and it did not lock up my PC so all was good. I just about had a cow watching all this go down as I had a ton of data I had to access to show "my guests"

Thumb drives have been a big "no-no" at many government facilities (to include the military) for years. When I was at the Air Force Academy, the IT folks had it set up so if you inserted a thumb drive that wasn't configured properly it locked up your computer. During a visit from the FAA, an inspector put his thumb drive into my computer when I had my back turned. As luck would have it, his thumb drive was "cleared" by his IT folks (without his knowledge) and it did not lock up my PC so all was good. I just about had a cow watching all this go down as I had a ton of data I had to access to show "my guests"

It's not just thumb drives. Remote working during COVID resulted in a huge increase in the use of CACs to access sensitive but UNCLAS networks and data. People were buying CAC readers online that actually had malware embedded...and imagine what could happen if CAC and PIN details could be gleaned. That's not the cited case I saw (see below) but it's still worrying.

If China is so bad, then US and Western firms and retailers should stop buying their crap from China. Honestly, besides access to cheap shoes and iPhones, what was wrong with leaving them as the hermit kingdom in the 1950s? What did the West's engagement of China get us?

China wants to destroy us. Let's stop sending them the money to do so.

Last edited:
If China is so bad, then US and Western firms and retailers should stop buying their crap from China. Honestly, besides access to cheap shoes and iPhones, what was wrong with leaving them as the hermit kingdom in the 1950s?
$$$ - Cheap Labor - and a market for our products that never materialized to the potential thought.

And I think there was wishful thinking that if the Chinese were exposed to capitalism, they would forgo communism.
What did the West's engagement of China get us?
These things that would cost $3 each if they were made here...

1664598251856.png

"Commercial Off The Shelf" Something the government started to push during the late 90s IIRC

CLUDGEMANSHIP, the art of making something that is Already available COTS but making it The only replacement part "to be used".

BTW, did you know Franklin Mint "collectibles" are made in China!
Now That IS something to worry about.................... Ay!

I hope that doesn't include my Starship Enterprise that I got from them twenty some odd years ago.
It probably is, flip it over and look.

Back in the day, Japanese stuff was considered cheap crap, then they improved their manufacturing.
Taiwan took Japan's place as a supplier of cheap crap, then they got it together with higher quality.
Then it was several other places that made crap until a certain prez hacked out the "most favored nation" deal and the Chinese crap flood commenced.

By the way, India and Pakistan were in the league of 1970's Taiwanese crap - and still are.
At least that hasn't changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back