The one most over-rated plane of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, time for a firebomb.
The MOST overrated plane of WW 2 in my opinion is ........... the P-51 Mustang.
Yes, it was was an outstanding fighter and had the range needed to do the job.
But you'd think for all the hero worship it gets it won the war single handed.
It took on the Luftwaffe when they were already on the ropes.
It was graceful and easy to fly, but had a glass jaw, the cooling system.
It really wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the fame without an imported engine.
So, my Molotve cocktail has been tossed, you may resume your discussion. Cheers !

The P-51 was using a Packard V-1650, which was manufactured in the states, not imported.

And to add to that, the P-51 was designed for the British...
A good few didnt have Packard engines either, I think his firebomb has mixed up the As B/Cs and Ds as well as that whole Mustang thing.

Uhh, the Packard V-1650 was based on WHICH engine ????
By 1944 when the P-51C/D came into it's own the LW had been at war in the West for going on 5 years, the majority of it's best pilots were for the most part either dead or in the East.
The rest had been in hard combat with Spitfires, P-38s and P-47s, none of which I may need to remind you were no slouch or easy kills in combat.
The LW pilots by & large in the West were inferior in training to the Allied pilots by 1944, so most kills by P-51 pilots weren't against top notch opponents.
All of which made the P-51's star shine even brighter. I'm not saying it was a bad fighter, just over rated.

Mustang Mk Is first entered French airspace on 10 May 1942 German airspace on 27 July 1942 shot down its first Fw190 in August 1942. The Packard was built in USA not imported and all Mustang mk I mk IA mk II P-51A and A36 versions had Allisson engines.

With 'this respect' I meant forward visibility over the cowl allowing a deflection shot while keeping the target in view.

Uhh, the Packard V-1650 was based on WHICH engine ????
The Packard V-1650 Merlin is a version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin aircraft engine, produced under license in the United States by the Packard Motor Car Company.

By 1944 when the P-51C/D came into it's own the LW had been at war in the West for going on 5 years, the majority of it's best pilots were for the most part either dead or in the East.
Can you quantify that with references? A number of high scoring LW pilots survived the war, well documented in the old book by Toliver and Constable "Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe."
And where you're REALLY wrong is when and how the destruction of the Luftwaffe occurred. I suggest reading this thread

The P-51 is arguably the most famous, and perhaps the most beloved, of American WWII fighter planes in part (I think) because there were so many still flying in recent years as racers. (How many are still in service in 2021? Anybody know?) That love may indeed be exaggerated (though a lot of it came from bomber pilots who had every right to love them). So, depending on who is doing the critiquing, the praise may well be a bit excessive. Also, many people consider the Mustang, like the Spitfire, to be especially good-looking, and we all know that looks matter. How is a Plain Jane like the P-47 Jug supposed to compete with that? But I still think that, even given the exaggerated praise, the Mustang really was a great plane, whereas the Zero was not all that great once you factor in the weaknesses as well as the strengths, yet the mythology of the Zero seems to me to be even more "over the top" than Mustang worship is. Therefore the Zero still deserves the "prize," even if only by a small margin.

[Shuffles papers and puts trial notes back in briefcase.]

Look, I wasn't going to go into tech specs, discussion and a pissing contest, I was just offering my opinion on the most over rated fighter of WW 2.
You may not like it and I'm not asking you to, it's my opinion.
You are all welcome to worship the P-51 as much as you like, I choose not to. It was a good airplane, not the best and not a Saint.
And dat's all I got to say 'bout dat.

I think it is nice that you shared your feelings, after all only feelings matter. How do you feel about Grumman products?

Well if you're going to state your opinion on this forum, there will be some, if not many on who will dispel the BS with TECHNICAL SPECS! You're entitled to your opinions even though reality, history AND FACTS dictates otherwise.

"And dat's all I got to say 'bout dat."

Users who are viewing this thread