The Person Below Me (TPBM) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wouldn't mind to do that for a WEEK!

Aaaawwwwww......coooome oooon guys, you aren't giving up are yous?
Tsk, tsk, tsk.....
I gues that I'll have to tell you the answer then you imbeciles....8) :lol:

G-AGGC, G-AGGD, G-AGGE, G-AGGF, G-AGGG AND G-AGGH... They were indeed as afore mentioned all Mosquitos. They were also all operated by BOAC between Sweden and UK during the war. Before the Mosquitos, they had used Lockheed Lodestars between Leuchars and Stockholm. But, they weren't offered the Mosquitos first, they were offered the Whitley and Albemarle, which they refused, with BOAC pressing on for Mosquitos to run this route.
The Route had already been proven by a Mosquito, when a B Mk IV (DK292) of No 105 Squadron had flown to Stockholm on 6th August 1942 to deliver a diplomatic bag.
For this flight the RAF crew wore civilian clothes and the aircraft had all roundels, serials and squadron markings removed...

It wasn't always nice and quiet on the flights however.... The first machine, G-AGFV was badly damaged when attack by Fw 190's on the night of the 22/23rd April and had to make an emergency landing at Barkaby near Stockholm.

They were also used to carry passengers in the bomb bay and this modification was carried out in literally few hours, so a negotiator could be rushed out to arrange the purchase of all Sweden's ball bearing production in advance of the Germans, whose own production had just been severely effected by the USAAF raid on their factories at Schweinfurt on the 17th August 1943.

The final flight to Sweden was on the 17th May 1945 after 520 flights had been achieved.

During these operations they only ever lost two passengers, one being a BOAC pilot, travelling as a passenger and two crews!

air-cargo-airmail-image-125.jpg

G-AGGC-port.gif

G-AGGF-stbd.gif

G-AGGF-top.gif

G-AGGF-bottom.gif

TPBM has a quiet Sunday...

Indeed Lucky, I am impressed ! How did I know they were Mosquitos ???

No, the day is not going to be an easy one, I'm re-doing a bathroom.

TPBM, like me, set their clocks back one hour, last night...

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back