The Person Below Me (TPBM)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have no idea what is, so no......

TPBM will show the above thingy....

It would be unusual for Scandinavians not to be attracted to the sea, given their Viking ancestry, and one of Scandinavia's most famous immigrant sons surely must be John Ericsson, a Swede, inventor of the propeller, so critical to naval maneuvering-and designer of the Union ironclad ship the Monitor. Two members of the ironclad's crew were also Swedish: M. P. Sunstrum, assistant engineer, and seaman Hans Anderson. Ericsson fought ridicule and design prejudice to convince the Lincoln administration of the fact that an iron ship could not only stay afloat but maneuver tactically and withstand solid shot in battle. Admiral John Adolph Dahlgren of the U.S, Navy was also the son of Swedish immigrants, and went on to great fame as the inventor of the so-called "Dahlgren Gun," an Artillery piece, Commanding the Washington Navy Yard at the beginning of the war, Dahlgren was given charge of the blockade that kept Southern ports from receiving or shipping forth any goods, supplies, foodstuffs, or luxuries for the Confederacy. He assisted in the taking of Savannah, Georgia, in 1864, and was instrumental in the siege of Charleston, South Carolina, in 1865, where his flagship was torpedoed and sank. Dahlgren escaped, however, to live another five years in relative peace. Many other Scandinavians served creditably in the Union forces: Oscar Malmborg, a hero of the Mexican War, who was so bad-tempered in spite of his heroics in the Civil War that he was relieved of duty-only to have the general in command, John Logan, criticize Malmborg's replacement as not being nearly as gallant and effective as the man he replaced; General Charles Stolbrand, personally commissioned a general of artillery by Lincoln, and who fought bravely at Vicksburg and Savannah; and Ernst von Vegesack, who served for two years in the Union army, rose to the rank of brigadier general, and was cited frequently by his superiors in their reports for his "admirable example ... calm courage ... and meritorious conduct."

Source: The Civil War Society's "Encyclopedia of the CivilWar."

had to google it..but i remember it. ocean ranger is a ...or shall i say WAS a big @$$, fancy dan drilling platform for off shore drilling. it perished along with its crew back in 82 to a storm with 70+ mph winds. a russian ship was also lost nearby becasue of the storm.

TPBM has been in a storm with winds over 90 MPH

this is the best one i could find. it was area along the czech borders that was inhabited by germans. its where my grandfather was born back in 1898. ( dont know why but it keeps showing germans twice on my post ???)

TPBM knows of a relative born in a different country

Attachments

• Sudetenland.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread