The Red Baron and his Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When you mention the Red Baron, the Fokker triplane always seems to come to mind first.

But only 19 of his 80 victories were shot down while he was flying a triplane.

There are a few of them in the museum here in Blenheim, alongside the panel from his aircraft, so they didn't all disappear.
Just had this come through my email:
MVR victory cups.jpg

Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen
The large cup records his 10th victim when downing of an FE2b piloted by 2nd Lt. Gilbert Sudbury Hall who apparently survived being shot down but later succumbed to his injuries while a POW and was buried with full military honours. His observer 2nd Lt. George Doughty was killed in the encounter.
The smaller cup is of much more significance as it records the downing of the RFC ace Major Lanoe Hawker while flying a DH2. MvR was flying an Albatros D.II at the time. After a prolonged dogfight, Hawker decided to run for it but was shot in the back of the head just before MvR's guns jammed.

From what I understand, Richthofen could not get one of his claims confirmed, so when possible he would visit the crash site of his victims and cut the aircraft number from the wreck. He was also a collector of his hunt and liked souvenirs, many times sending them home. He made a collection of silver cups for each victory he achieved, I believe there were 50 made. During the communist occupation of Prussia, I believe the Richthofen estate was raided and those cups disappeared.

3115e714d6bdf9caaa52707a25471fc2.jpg

Just had this come through my email:
View attachment 335717
Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen
The large cup records his 10th victim when downing of an FE2b piloted by 2nd Lt. Gilbert Sudbury Hall who apparently survived being shot down but later succumbed to his injuries while a POW and was buried with full military honours. His observer 2nd Lt. George Doughty was killed in the encounter.
The smaller cup is of much more significance as it records the downing of the RFC ace Major Lanoe Hawker while flying a DH2. MvR was flying an Albatros D.II at the time. After a prolonged dogfight, Hawker decided to run for it but was shot in the back of the head just before MvR's guns jammed.
Very Cool! How many of those cups are at the museum?

There's a few trinkets on Richtofen on display, including the centre diorama I posted pics of a page or so back. There's also the Luftwaffe dress uniform of younger sibling.

Richtofen%20souvenirs_zpsqedu5dmg.jpg

A couple of paintings:

Albatri_zpslp0n6doa.jpg

Richtofen%20painting_zpsvuq4yocf.jpg

A flying repro of 425/17. This particular aircraft (note the three other Triplanes there, all flyers) was the first Triplane reproduction imported to New Zealand back in the early 1980s.

42517%20repro_zpsg8v9h1wl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back