The Red Baron and his Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But speed wasn't a factor so much in WWI as agility was more important - hence the success of the Dr I. Just my opinion.

The Dr I was only intended as an interim at any rate, the Jastas were actually awaiting the arrival of the D VII, sad that Richtofen never flew the D VII; it was by all accounts a superior fighter compared to the Dr I. The latter was not all that popular and has only become popular in legend owing to Richtofen. Just one thing on the Triplane images, Chris, the picture at bottom right is likely to be a modern reproduction and not one of his triplanes that he flew. Note in the background in the second picture down is the light blue Triplane of Eberhardt Mohnicke adorned with a swastika.

Here are a few images of a modern interpretation of the crash site of 425/17.

RichotfensDrIs_zps7f025f5b.jpg

RichtofenDrIs_zps32981c34.jpg

RichtofensDrIlooters-1.jpg

The panel depicted in the scene above, taken from 425/17.

DrIcross.jpg

A modern flyable interpretation of 425/17. This is supposed to represent the final paint configuration of the aircraft at the time Richtofen was shot down.

42517iiis_zps92b765ad.jpg

When Richthofen flew Fokker's V11 in January 1918, he was not impressed at all. Platz listened to Richthofen's complaints and suggestions along with other top ace's comments and modified V11 to reflect that input. Richthofen flew it again to re-evaluate it and was very impressed.

Platz listened to Richthofen's complaints and suggestions along with other top ace's comments and modified V11 to reflect that input. Richthofen flew it again to re-evaluate it and was very impressed.

Undercarriage was too narrow and Platz also made alterations to the fuselage length. Directional instability was also an issue with the V 11. With the 160 hp Mercedez, the D VII was good, with the 185 hp BMW it was terrific.

Also, one of the problems that Richthofen did not like about the early V11, was the wing's weakness.

I don't have a direct quote handy, but his observation was that the wings stressed and fluttered, which caused him great concern.

I don't have a direct quote handy, but his observation was that the wings stressed and fluttered, which caused him great concern.

It'd be interesting to read that, Dave. The V 18 had even more refinements that were incorporated into the D VII, which included the fixed fin portion, which increased stability and the subsequent mods that led to the V 22, which was (in essence) a production D VII, despite the Versuchs designation. The V 24 was a standard production D VII and incorporated a more powerful 200 hp engine. It later served as the prototype of the BMW powered production variant.

Baron Manfred von Richthofen was known to be superstitious and have an aversion about the number 13. This may be due to the fact that he had three crashes on the 13th of various months. He also insisted on taking a tattered pair of old fur gloves with him as a talisman. The same gloves were with him as he gained his first 10 victories.

(Anybody know if he really had previous crashes and what are the dates)

In the heat of the battle during World War 2, the average life expectancy of a flying pilot was about 3 weeks. The pilots used to surround themselves with lucky charms, good luck charms and a lot of superstition Amongst the German pilots of the string and canvas flying machines, one superstition was the strongest of all. Not to be photographed before they fly off to their mission. They would allow a photographer to photograph them after they returned and record their victories.

On 21st April 1918, Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the deadliest ace that air warfare had ever known, laughed at this superstition. He stopped to play with a puppy at the door of the hangar, which housed his bright red Fokker triplane, and he smiled into the lens of a camera held by a visitor to the airfield and had his picture taken. The day before, he had shot down his 80th aircraft. However, this day was his last; he was shot down and killed. His luck had run out.

(I'm looking for this photograph, Anyone know if this story is true?)

This blue dog trinket belonged to Baron Manfred von Richthofen. He was known to have carried it into the air for good luck.
Red Baron's blue dog. This trinket belonged to Baron Manfred von Richthofen Pilots would often t.jpg

To my knowlege Richthofen had one crash and two forced landings. #1 in March of 1916 just out of flight school. He joined Kampfgeschwader 2. His first time at the controls of his Albatros C he had problems controling his aircraft and crashed. #2 6 March 1917 flying a Halberstadt D his plane was shot in the fuel tank and he was forced to land.
#3 6 July 1917 Richthofen was shot in the head. He barely regained control of his Albatros D managing a severe forced landing.
He suffered serious brain damage (several operations to remove bone splinters) and there is thought that this injury lead to his death. On the day he was killed he had violated all his (and Boelcke's) rules of air combat. His lack of judgement in flying low over enemy territory exposed to ground fire and target fixation on May's Sopwith Camel are consistant with brain injured patients.

Last edited:
Found some more pics including the Albatross.......

R001.jpg
R002.jpg
R003.jpg
R200.jpg
R201.jpg

Attachments

• R203.jpg
    R203.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 82
  • R204.jpg
    R204.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • T202.jpg
    T202.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, Richthofen could not get one of his claims confirmed, so when possible he would visit the crash site of his victims and cut the aircraft number from the wreck. He was also a collector of his hunt and liked souvenirs, many times sending them home. He made a collection of silver cups for each victory he achieved, I believe there were 50 made. During the communist occupation of Prussia, I believe the Richthofen estate was raided and those cups disappeared.

From what I understand, Richthofen could not get one of his claims confirmed, so when possible he would visit the crash site of his victims and cut the aircraft number from the wreck. He was also a collector of his hunt and liked souvenirs, many times sending them home. He made a collection of silver cups for each victory he achieved, I believe there were 50 made. During the communist occupation of Prussia, I believe the Richthofen estate was raided and those cups disappeared.
There are a few of them in the museum here in Blenheim, alongside the panel from his aircraft, so they didn't all disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back