The Red Baron (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hear what you're saying, but still think it doesn't need to be too graphic. A true realistic portrayal of war would shock most people and I certainly wouldn't want my children to see war in every gory detail. There can be a balance, but young children can get traumatized easily by graphic images. I would just assume that my kids never see the horrors of war, whether through the media, museums and especially the real thing.

The air war in WWI was particularly brutal as air wars go. While there was chivalry displayed by both sides, there was also brutality by both sides. Having seen some of those crates they took aloft in museums, it is a wonder anyone survived! Having no parachutes was even more crazy. I could not imagine having an airplane on fire, falling from altitude while you burned. It's funny how it got so romanticized. But maybe one who survived so many aerial engagements in that environment deserves a little admiration.

There can be a balance, but young children can get traumatized easily by graphic images. I would just assume that my kids never see the horrors of war, whether through the media, museums and especially the real thing.

Yes, Eric, you are right, but I think we need to pull back from the 'hero worship' angle in these places, however. I went to an exhibition on Hiroshima in the Imperial War Museum once; very effective and spooky without being too graphic. As for your comments about going to war in these machines - yes, very brave men, or boys. I recently read Saggitarius Rising by Cecil Lewis for the first time; a classic of the genre apparently; very enjoyable, I'd highly recommend it.

Maybe if more people saw war, with all it's warts, there'd be less war.

It would be nice to think that might be so, but history has proven that that is just not the case, sadly. :(

Especially the blood trickling out of his mouth.

A .303 rifle bullet through the chest may well cause that.

I visited the AWM in Canberra last year and missed his boots! It's a bit too far to nip back for another look :)

Cheers
Steve

I hear what you're saying, but still think it doesn't need to be too graphic. A true realistic portrayal of war would shock most people and I certainly wouldn't want my children to see war in every gory detail. There can be a balance, but young children can get traumatized easily by graphic images. I would just assume that my kids never see the horrors of war, whether through the media, museums and especially the real thing.

Having seen it first hand, I don't believe that the average person on this planet can handle the real details of war. It is nothing like Hollywood.

Maybe if more people saw war, with all it's warts, there'd be less war.

Agreed...

But I seriously doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back