The "ugliest" a/c of all times

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The A-6E (Especially the EA-6B) and the MH-53E never struck me as particularly attractive aircraft on the ground. They did seem to acquire some grace in the air.

Any aircraft made by Blackburn.
They did have a knack for making some clunky aircraft: I'd say of the designs you showed, if I was to rank them...
  1. Blackburn Blackburn
  2. Blackburn Beverly
  3. Blackburn B.54: The design is somewhat slab-sided, though it's got some rounding to it's overall frame. It looks ugly in the picture because of the opened weapons bay doors.
  4. Blackburn Roc
  5. Blackburn Skua
I wouldn't consider the Firebrand to be ugly, it just looks like many other radial engined naval fighters: I think it's an overweight beast, but not particularly ugly.

Not sure what it is, but it's ugly and looks like French early 1930s

The Dyle et Bacalan AB.20Bn.4.

Scan0281.jpg

My favorite of the Soviet post-WWII ugly ones. :cool:
Il-40-2.
iaUKblBgzxPRcMOZA26X0_wjlQ68NinWwqcfLk0ZJK_TsGvSzIJioCX9mzbTcchTgnjliWz8m1DmGVWG3u3hLT0yHGuqcVfg.jpg

Even the artist's impression does not help.
fb.jpg

Tupolev (allegedly) said after seeing the prototype: "what's in Mikoyan's ass... is in Ilyishin's nostrils".
Reference to Mikoyan was probably because of MiG-19 which was tested in about the same period.

My favorite of the Soviet post-WWII ugly ones. :cool:
Il-40-2.
View attachment 574720
Even the artist's impression does not help.
View attachment 574721

Tupolev (allegedly) said after seeing the prototype: "what's in Mikoyan's ass... is in Ilyishin's nostrils".
Reference to Mikoyan was probably because of MiG-19 which was tested in about the same period.
An F84F with elephantiasis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back