The Weather Where You Live? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pardon my ignorance but what is "hot changing" at shift start?
This only occurs for the graders when its snowing. We usually park at 6:10am/pm so we can do paperwork and house-keeping and the crew bus picks us up at about 6:20am/pm. The crew coming on shift is in the line-up room and the shift starts at 6:30am/pm. After assignments are handed out we take the crew bus out to the pit and pre-trip the equipment we are running and are usually mobile by 7:10am/pm. That's a gap of up to an hour without any snow removal and it can really come down hard here. To prevent a snow build up, the grader operators, up to four of us depending on snow, grab a pickup at 6:00am/pm and head out to the pit. We call on the radio to get the grader locations and as soon as we meet one, the operator gets off the machine and a new operator gets on. This is the hot change, no wheel chocks down, no pre-trips, no paperwork, right to work with no break in snow removal. All the pre-startup stuff is done once we are caught up

Flash backs to Fulda. Below zero but not that low. Good news is it is easy to keep the drinks cold. I have my two wool blankets issued 1979 and my poncho liner. Just have the get it away from my wife's cats and dog. Hope the power grid holds up.
Oops. I did not hit post last night. We dropped down to 13 F. How did everyone else do. Let's see who is under 0 F. ⛄

Yeah, we were at 12F here in Spicewood. Great day to defrost our freezer, I'm just going to open the garage door and set the food in crates while the defrosting is going on.

Yeah, we were at 12F here in Spicewood. Great day to defrost our freezer, I'm just going to open the garage door and set the food in crates while the defrosting is going on.
Might as well fire the grill up too and toss something good on it! Dad and I got the Fire Dept called on us one time, while we were up in New Jersey for doing that. About 18F, at least a foot of new snow and we fired the grill up on the deck and had some stakes and burgers going. Sitting in the lawn chairs, sipping on some nice cold Lone Stars and here came 4 or 5 fire trucks screaming up into our condo complex. Should have seen their expressions when they found out that the huge column of white smoke was actually steam from the grill! We were the talk of the complex for a few weeks after that.

We may have a winner for the coldest location contest. Please submit the temperature at your location. The winner will receive a major award. Yes that is correct. You call win a beautiful shiny ice bucket full of water so you can make your own ice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back