The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sneaky dude...well sneaky !

I have no idea what it is, but I think it sits underneath the rear turret on B-24

BINGO! Very good Gary. The rear end of the Strawberry Bitch in Dayton. Not sure myself what it is, but I think its some sort to formation or signal lights housing.

Attachments

• P2166601.JPG
    P2166601.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Capt. Vick... Gary, how the hell...? Good one!

I used all sorts of cunning things to track this puppy down including experience, books, internet, looking in through the windows, weja boards, astrological surveys, NASA (but they where busy with a big robot somewhere or other, divining rods, metal detectors, airport security x-ray machines, I asked Terry :), heck, I even used Glenn's webcam when he was busy uploading the piccie. Trust me, it wasn't easy.

Actually, thats a load of sphericals, I went through my own pics looking for sand colored airframes and that narrowed it down to about three candidates, then I found I have an almost identical piccie as Glenn used....

sb1.jpg

I knew it was Strawberry B' but didn't want to say so.

Chaps..... I think its time we had a rethink on the rules of this here game. When any of us go to a museum or airshow, we invariably post a picture heavy thread and you can almost guarantee that any new 'planes will appear somewhere on here. From there, its not exactly rocket science to go over previuous threads to get an idea of the target 'plane. If we can confirm the color or even if its in a museum, its quite easy to identify what we are looking at...even though you have to look pretty bl**dy hard sometimes !!!

I know I started this thread, buit I'm sure like most of you, we must all be finding it pretty difficult to come up with fresh brain-teasers out of our own collection. I'd like to suggest that we now do one of two things. Either.....

1. Close this thread and open a fresh one where you can post a piccie from ANY scource...book, internet, painting, whathaveyou
2. Change the rules on this thread and open it up to like Option One to include any media.

I think doing this will encourage other peeps to join in the hair tearing out, gnashing teeth, bitting fingernails antics we sometimes (OK, just me then :)) go through trying to identify a rivet on a plane. It'll also hopefully stop new members going off in a huff (No, not the F86 Sabre with 'The Huff' nose-art !) because they didn't read the first post and might encourage others to join the site

I'd like to recommend Option Two.

What do you think ?.

In the meantime, and while you're thinking about printable replies, here's another one from my archives. And to make it more interesting, I've posted it in monochrome :twisted:

Attachments

• what17.jpg
    what17.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 70
Geedee said:
Chaps..... I think its time we had a rethink on the rules of this here game. When any of us go to a museum or airshow, we invariably post a picture heavy thread and you can almost guarantee that any new 'planes will appear somewhere on here. From there, its not exactly rocket science to go over previuous threads to get an idea of the target 'plane. If we can confirm the color or even if its in a museum, its quite easy to identify what we are looking at...even though you have to look pretty bl**dy hard sometimes !!!

I know I started this thread, buit I'm sure like most of you, we must all be finding it pretty difficult to come up with fresh brain-teasers out of our own collection. I'd like to suggest that we now do one of two things. Either.....

1. Close this thread and open a fresh one where you can post a piccie from ANY scource...book, internet, painting, whathaveyou
2. Change the rules on this thread and open it up to like Option One to include any media.

I think doing this will encourage other peeps to join in the hair tearing out, gnashing teeth, bitting fingernails antics we sometimes (OK, just me then :)) go through trying to identify a rivet on a plane. It'll also hopefully stop new members going off in a huff (No, not the F86 Sabre with 'The Huff' nose-art !) because they didn't read the first post and might encourage others to join the site

I'd like to recommend Option Two.

What do you think ?.

In the meantime, and while you're thinking about printable replies, here's another one from my archives. And to make it more interesting, I've posted it in monochrome :twisted:
I'd like to join in, but could I use die cast models? I have no good pics, but I have about 46 die casts.

Also, I'd like to recommend option one. Or you could open a thread for this game for die casts, and one for pics of real planes.

In the meantime, I'll try to figure out the part's plane.

Last edited:
Could It be an American heavy bomber? I'm going to guess B-17 or B-24. But it could be a P-39. Have ho clue except for lots of rivets. But I know i've seen those latch things before.

Last edited:
I think Option Two, but would ask the contributor to identify the basic source (i.e., internet, book, own archives, own photos etc). Not sure about die-casts, as some have some rather prominent joints and mould lines.
As for the latest pic, I've seen those retractable boarding steps somewhere, but b*gg*red if I can remember where!

I agree, any reasonable source, no idea on the stair steps except maybe a helo

Could It be an American heavy bomber? I'm going to guess B-17 or B-24. But it could be a P-39. Have ho clue except for lots of rivets. But I know i've seen those latch things before.

Sorry dude, its not a '17, '24 or '39 but you are right, its got heaps of rivets :D. Welcome aboard by the way.

Is it a Tanker or Seaplane?

Only in your dreams :lol:

no idea on the stair steps except maybe a helo

Its not a helo

Time for some clues methinks...

We all know that helicopters dont fly, they are so repulsive the Earth repels them...well, this aint a helo, but it sure is ugly and I reckon the only way this things gets upstairs is cos the Earth don't like it either !. Its American, its got 6 wheels and looks like it was designed by 3 different design teams who were not on talking terms...

Last edited:
Well then you must be talking about the Northrop YC-125 Raider, possibly the ugliest plane ever made?

That'll be this little beauty then !!!. Always wanted to start up the clockwork in reverse and see if it went better going backwards :lol:

Mental note to self...must make clues a little bit harder next time !

Top marks mate.

Attachments

• Raider.jpg
    Raider.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 97
Now that is one aerial Hippocroccofrog!
Looks like a Percival Pembroke pretending to be a cross-breed with a Twin Pioneer and Antonov An-2 ! And thanks Gary - I'd heard of it, but had never seen a pic of one.

An interesting note is that Northrop made a civillian version that if I remember was called the Pioneer (1 built). Also, the original Raider that was slated for the NMUSAF crashed during the delivery flight to the museum and the one that is there now was it's replacement. Something like a dozen where made, if that. I will post a pic, hopefully tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back