The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good one! I would never have got it - was thinking of older aircraft.
I was counting on that! The louvres and rivets made it look like something from an old prop job. I thought the cards clue would have tipped it off, Tutor, Tudors, kings and queens of England (or maybe it is a Canadian thing to slur 't's to 'd's).

Last edited:
I would never have got the cards clue either! I know nothing about card games, but was trying to think of terms used, particularly North American terms, which might have given a clue to a name or number. Even if I had cottoned on to Tutor, and it would have been a miracle, it would have been with reference to the Avro biplane!

Here's comes mine and its not a subsonic plane.

Attachments

• test1.png
    test1.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 67
Hrrg feels like i got sudden deaht, hoped that whoulded be a good one to you, ok you won Tankwork.

And Tank, please don't take it personal. I think everyone here uses everything at there disposal to try and come up with an answer to some these. We will pick and and light heartedly make fun of each other at times but nothing malicious or mean. If I remember correctly, even Airframes has searched his books and archives to answer some of these. It's all in good fun so please carry on cause we have to learn some how.

Point taken. In my own (somewhat lame!) defence, I am not using image search, I try to puzzle out what I am looking at and then try to find verification using the interweb. It just happened last time that the same picture came up when I put in the aircraft name, not like the Harrier nose pic (which was driving me crazy!) which I only guessed at based on clues given.
Rest assured however, the pics that I am posting are in my collection.

With my limited knowledge I have to use all the avenues at my disposal to so I don't hold it against you. My boss has always told me you can't remember it all. Just keep up with the books, magazines, websites and what not and you won't have to remember it.

Yep, no problem. I normally make a guess (or definite answer) based on experience, memory and so on, having been around aviation since Moses was a trainee Corporal. If I need to, then I might check in one of my books, but as this takes physical effort, which is sometimes not possible due to this stupid arthritis, I don't often do so. The nationality of the person posting helps of course, as it's more likely, although not always the case, the photo subject would have been photographed in their country of residence, at a museum, air show or airfield, and it's sometimes possible, due to this, to not only identify the aircraft, but nail it down to which example and where!
Of course, with some of Gary's shots, as he's travelled to various airfields across the world, this is a bit more difficult!

Of course, with some of Gary's shots, as he's travelled to various airfields across the world, this is a bit more difficult!
:twisted:

There is something soo d*mn familiar with the stance in that piccie, couped with the hint...
(I hope that I haven't given too much away.
...makes me think its a DC3 / C47.

I started off firmly convinced it was an early autogyro / chopper but argued with myself that I was wrong. Then I started thinking about largish twin taildraggers and once I ruled out the C46, thought that a Dak would be too obvious (thinking devious'ness, I even considered the Lisonov Li2 !).

Probably wrong but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I'll go with a Dak...until you tell me I'm wrong :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back