The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't think I'm right, but I'll have a stab at EE/BAC Lightning.
Well done Terry, got it in one :)
This one is at the BDAC museum not far from my home and is undergoing a restoration.

Attachments

• What.jpg
    What.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 72
Ah !
I was uncertain due to that avionics (?) hatch standing proud. Now I see it's partly open.
OK, try this one. Not a great choice, but a quick selection on my part.

WIG 54.jpg

Well done !
It's the EFA/EAP, prototype for what became the Eurofighter Typhoon, now on display at RAFM Cosford.
Last time I saw it, before taking this photo, was at the roll-out at Warton, in 1986, when I was presenting an AV show.

Cosfird Consvn Nov 13 096.jpg

Well, I think it is a prop spinning and I was thinking of another Bristol - the Britannia. But the fuselage is too small.
Now thinking Republic, the XF-12 Rainbow?

Well, I think it is a prop spinning and I was thinking of another Bristol - the Britannia. But the fuselage is too small.
Now thinking Republic, the XF-12 Rainbow?

Excellent, yes, the XF-12 Rainbow. I was always struck by the lines of the aircraft (except the tail).

large.jpg

T!

Alrighty, time for some clues then!

British.
A proof-of-concept aircraft for a revolutionary 36-passenger airliner design utilising what the designer called a "rectiliner wing". Never built as both the designer and test pilot crashed to their deaths in the aircraft above three weeks before WW2 commenced.

If he had lived and found a backer, this is what the airliner would have looked like...

airliner.jpg

Barnwell BSW.
Designer Frank Barnwell, with Bristol Aeroplane Company the interested party.
I'll admit to cheating slightly, by checking some of my larger, older reference books, as I thought I'd seen a drawing or pic of the proposed airliner somewhere before.

Sorry Terry, nothing to do with Barnwell or Bristol. I'm assuming your books don't have an illustration of the Barnwell BSW? Here it is - this is what Captain Frank Barnwell was killed in...

BSW.jpg

I'll give this one more try. Don't want to drag this out but I'll post one more photo of the mystery aircraft with a bit more of the registration...

anotherview.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back