The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Goldfinch Amphibian 161 ?

Is that a pic you took?????????????

The plane was actually called 'Son of Colditz' but essentially you are correct. top marks mate, well done.!

And yes, thats one of my pictures.

I first met Bill way back in 1976 when I was doing my gliding proficiency at the tender age of 16, at Old Sarum airfield and on the 10 Oct 1976 when I soloed, he linvited me to sit in his Luton Minor. I didn't know at the time who he was but the fact that distinguished looking guy would let me sit in the plane that he'd built and just after my solo's was a fantastic event for me, a mere 16 years old !. After that day, I always had my top button on my uniform battledress undone as I was a pilot !!

I then discovered this unusual plane being built in the hangars at Old Sarum way back in 2006, didn't know who was building it or what it was even as there was no-one around to ask and I will not enter a hangar unless invited. I returned back in 2007 and the plane was coming along nicely. Then Bill passed on in the Oct of 2007 almost 34 years to the date I first met him. I found this out in 2008 !.

If only, I'd known about his exploits earlier.

Bill, you sir where both a Gent and a true Hero !:salute:

For more info on Bill read the attached....its brilliant. http://www.oldframlinghamian.com/images/articles/FLIGHTLTLESLIEBILLJAMESEDWARDGOLDFINCH26-32.pdf

Heres a few of my shots of the build from 2006 / 7 of this fantastic little plane, being lovingly built by Bill.

Attachments

• b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 85
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 88
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 79
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 75
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 87
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 75
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 88
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 89
Great stuff Gary, and a fascinating story. I'm fairly sure that that Luton Minor was based at my Aero Club at one time - looks very familiar, including the registration.

I'll have a shot at a Blackhawk.

With ring bolts like that, I'm assuming they would be used to tie an airframe down to the deck of a carrier and again, I'm only guessing a chopper 'cos of the colour.

My first thought was a it belongs to a B25....Doolitle raid type of scenario.

I'll have a shot at a Blackhawk.

With ring bolts like that, I'm assuming they would be used to tie an airframe down to the deck of a carrier and again, I'm only guessing a chopper 'cos of the colour.

My first thought was a it belongs to a B25....Doolitle raid type of scenario.
Hmm, I think you're right!
After all, it's always a matter of tying down a plane...:D

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back