The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Correct.
seabee 001.jpg

I thought that someone would have picked up on the heavily ribbed surfaces earlier. i did not think it would last very long but then maybe a Seabee is not as well known nowadays.
A friend of mine used to work for Canadair and was showing around some reps from a German company when they spied a row of Seabees across the field and there was nothing else for it but they had to be taken over to see them. Graham had to stuff them into a car and drive them two miles around to the park (crossing the field was forbidden) where they spent the rest of the afternoon climbing over the aircraft.
This particular shot was taken in my hometown while the aircraft was being started on its journey to the bay about a mile away down a country road. It had been dragged up to the garage for some engine work I think if memory serves, 1954 about so that is not reliable! It had to be 'bent' around every power pole on the two mile round trip.

Last edited:
Well, for me the key was the name of the manufacturer, "Republic". And, the Seabee, despite being an antique airplane, is not unknown in Brazil. The RC-3 was used in São Paulo city for some time, for sightseeing rides over the lake of Guarapiranga dam. Some of the history of the RC-3 in Brazil is here: Republic Seabees in Brazil

Most of brazilian Seabees were operated by Mr. Herberts Cukurs, a Latvian aviation pioneer imigrating just after WWII. Some of Mr. Cukurs controversial history can be found here: Herberts Cukurs - "the most famous Latvian" - The Apricity Forum: A European Cultural Community

PP-DKU-08-640.jpg

Last edited:
Well, for me the key was the name of the manufacturer, "Republic". And, the Seabee, despite being an antique airplane, is not unknown in Brazil. The RC-3 was used in São Paulo city for some time, for sightseeing rides over the lake of Guarapiranga dam. Some of the history of the RC-3 in Brazil is here: Republic Seabees in Brazil

Most of brazilian Seabees were operated by Mr. Herberts Cukurs, a Latvian aviation pioneer imigrating just after WWII. Some of Mr. Cukurs controversial history can be found here: Herberts Cukurs - "the most famous Latvian" - The Apricity Forum: A European Cultural Community

View attachment 205513

Has anyone been to this link? Either we have some serious Nazi revisionist history here or IMHO someone is covering for Mr. Herberts Cukurs and his Alleged (?) Holocaust crimes. Head of the motorpool indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back