THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO "HMMMMMMM"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back in the mid-70's a truck crashed on I-40 in western Oklahoma. There was great concern because it was loaded with some kind of explosive ordnance. The TV stations went on and on about the need for experts to come in and decide what to do with the truck, which was "loaded with 3 MM shells."

Turned out it was 500 lb bombs, which they probably could not have known, but you'd think they would realize a 3MM shell would be a mite too small unless you are talking 1/48 scale.

Ya, I notice it all the time, I'm sure we all do, the media authoritatively reporting on something that the have completely wrong.
It's baffling, especially these days when in most of these cases they could have spent 5 minutes on line to at least get the basics of what there reporting on.

I have noticed the TV reporters try to find someone even less knowledgeable to intervue. Several years ago a Cessna Caravan poorly loaded (tail heavy) attempted to take off from MSY , stalled and crashed just inside the fence. The news that night had this, " Yeah, I seen it. It done a tail swoop and fell down".

"Thou shall not stall lest the ground rise up and smite thee."

That was the 11th Commandment, but for thousands of years no one understood it and finally it was deleted.

And as Richard Bach observed, news reports so often announce that "the little airplane was not on a flight plan" as if that was a reason for a mishap, even in a case where a light aircraft was tied down at an airport and was struck by a taxiing airliner.

Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation

The probability that a certain person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.

A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses himself.

Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.

A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person

Trying to understand the behavior/actions of stupid individuals is like trying to smell the color 9

Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions

Stupid > 10 x Genius

Users who are viewing this thread