TIGER MANUAL (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've seen this before but can't remember where/when. Reminds me of the cartoonish (drawings by Will Eisner) manual the Army eventually came out with for cleaning/maintenance of the M-16.
m16maint.jpg

started shipping the booklets with the rifles?
Depends on how you define "Started" The first ARs reached Vietnam in 1963 the year I arrived but I was assigned to a field hospital and as a Medic my only gun was an old 1911. By late 1964 in Special forces I saw my first Colt M-16 and the Colt factory Rep who introduced the little BB-Gun told us point blank that this rifle was such a precision built weapon that it never needed routine cleaning/lubrication. It was self-cleaning and standard lubes would just gum it up. Therefore NO cleaning kits were available. Any work/maintenance on the rifle needs/must be done by a qualified armorer with specialized equipment.
By 1965 newly arriving troops were arriving equipped with the M-16 and report after reports was stating that the little gun was jamming over and over and soldiers were being killed as they attempted to disassemble the little bugger to un-jam it.
By 1966 we were receiving the CAR-15 with the 10-inch barrel. Neat little gun but it barked like a 105 howitzer and flashed like one as well (just perfect for concealed jungle combat) and with all the weight to the rear it was difficult and clumsy to use. Eventually Colt developed a 4.25 inch flash hider and kinda moderator. Helped out quite a bit but now the rifle was 14 inches long.
In 1967 after a Congressional Hearing and much debate most of the blame was shown to be basic mismanagement and negligence by the Army Ordinance people and McNamara's micro-management. Simple solutions like using the correct powder in cartridges (Ball vs IMR); chrome plating the chamber to limit corrosion; Slam Firing - soft primers and a too heavy firing pin; Light buffer/spring guide causing "light strikes" on full auto; and CLEANING KITS began to arrive. The instructions were the usual Army gibberish and difficult to read, comprehend, and apply.
1968 the "Comic Books" began to appear and were included with new rifles

Last edited:
Ref. cartoon nudity: there's a Luftwaffe gunnery manual online (somewhere) showing the duty blonde in progressive states of undress depending on deflection angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back