Today in Aviation History

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
I put this in the off-topic section because it can encompass aviation from all eras. I think it could spark up some interesting discussions though. All information in this thread is from This Day in Aviation - Important Dates in Aviation History, please feel free to check out the website. I do not own any of these pictures, and all information taken from the site, as well as pictures posted are sourced to the owner.

Today in Aviation History

October 17, 1974

First flight, Sikorsky YUH-60A 73-21650 at Stratford, Connecticut, 17 October 1974. (Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin Company)

Last edited:
October 17, 1922

USS Langley (CV-1), 1922. (U.S. Navy)

A Vought VE-7 takes off from USS Langley (CV-1). (National Naval Aviation Museum)

October 17, 1913

Zeppelin L2 (LZ 18). The smoke is coming from the forward engine car. (© Ullstein Bild)

L2 leaves a trail of smoke as it crashes to the ground, 17 October 1913. (Zeppelin-Luftschiffe.com)

Wreckage of the L2 at Flugplatz Johannisthal-Adlershof, Germany, 17 October 1913. (Gebrüder Haeckel, Berlin 3227/2)

October 16, 1963

Convair B-58A-20-CF Hustler 61-2059, Greased Lightning. (U.S. Air Force)

Major Sidney J. Kubesch, U.S. Air Force, with his wife, Joanna Alice Cole Kubesch, at RAF Greenham Common, 16 October 1963. (Kokomo Tribune)

Major Sidney J. Kubesch, Aircraft Commander, Major John Barrett, Navigator and Captain Gerard Williamson. (Kokomo Tribune)

Ah crap, I accidentally went back to the 16th. Today is the 17th. Oh well, you guys got a bonus. I will update this thread daily. Hopefully, it brings some good conversation.

October 18, 1984

Rockwell International B-1B Lancer 82-0001 takes off for the first time at Air Force Plant 42, Palmdale, California. (U.S. Air Force)

October 18, 1922

Curtiss R-6, serial number A.S. 68564, at Selfridge Field, 14 October 1922. (San Diego Air and Space Museum Archives)

Brigadier General Billy Mitchell at Selfridge Field, Michigan, 1922. This airplane may be a Thomas-Morse MB-3 fighter. (U.S. Air Force)

October 18, 1909

"The Comte Charles de Lambert flies around the Eiffel Tower in Paris in his Wright aeroplane during his circular tour from Juvisy – Paris – Juvisy." (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

de Lambert, immediately after landing at Pau, 18 October 1909. (Collection of Gerard J. van Heusden)

Charles, Comte de Lambert (1865–1944)

October 19, 1908

Eugène Welferinger à bord de l'Antoinette IV : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

"Left front view of Société Antoinette 'Antoinette IV' on the ground. This version is of 'Antoinette IV' is fitted with two large in-line wheels, substantial mid-wing skids, and a paddle-type propeller. Designer Léon Levavasseur stands at left (bearded man wearing dark vest and cap). Issy-les-Moulineaux, Paris, France, November 1908." (M. Rol & Cie, 4 Rue Richer, Paris/Library of Congress)

Antoinette IV, right front quarter view. (Phototeque chronorama)

Two-view drawing of an early configuration of Léon Levavasseur's Antoinette Monoplane. (Flight, Vol. I, No. 43, 23 October 1909, at Page 663)

October 19, 1895

Lieutenant Alfred Gilmer Lamplugh, Royal Flying Corps. (Moseley Society History Group)

I must say what always astonished me about the first pioneers of aviation is that they not only had to figure out how an airplane was to work (propeller, flaps, ailerons etc.) , they had to figure out power plants as well. Internal combustion engines were in their fledgling stage to say the least, and not just that, look at those radiator lines on the side of "Antoinette IV".

Those guys were creating a technology out of whole cloth and it didn't matter which country was doing it, they were ALL amazing in my book.

I agree completely. It really is amazing what they did. Look at how far we have come in a little over 100 years too.

Missed yesterday, so I will start with yesterday today and just continue.

October 20, 1956

Bell XH-40 55-4459 with stabilizer bar, cowlings and rear doors installed. (U.S. Army)

Bell XH-40 first flight. (U.S. Army)

The first prototype Bell XH-40, 55-4459, hovers in ground effect. (U.S. Army)

The Bell XH-40 prototype hovering in ground effect at the Bell Aircraft Corporation helicopter plant at Hurst, Texas. The helicopter's cowlings and doors are not installed in this photograph. (U.S. Army)

October 20, 1952

Douglas X-3 49-2892. Rogers Dry Lake is in the background. (NASA)

Douglas X-3 parked on Rogers Dry Lake, 1956 (NASA)
https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/15-october-1952/screen-shot-2018-10-14-at-16-13-22/

William Barton "Bill" Bridgeman, 1916–1968. (LIFE Magazine)

October 20, 1934

Poster by Percival Alerbert Trompf (Australian National Travel Association/State Library of new South Wales a928613)

Map of MacRobertson International Air Races from Pilot's Brochure. (State Library of NSW, call number 93/889)

Two de Havilland DH.88 Comets and a Gee Bee at Mildenhall Aerodrome prior to the 1934 MacRobertson Race. The airfield had opened 4 days earlier. In the foreground is the Mollisons' "Black Magic." (BAE Systems)

Turner and Pangborn's Boeing 247D, "Warner Brothers Comet."

KLM Douglas DC-2 PH-AJU (National Library of Australia 144684167)

O. Cathcart Jones and K.F. Waller, de Havilland DH.88 Comet G-ACSR, #19.

Jim and Amy Mollison with their DH.88 Comet.

Flight Lieutenant C.W.A. Scott, A.F.C., circa 1931 (Scott Family Collection)

The MacRobertson Trophy.

October 20, 1922

1st Lieutenant Harold Ross Harris, Air Service United States Army. (San Diego Air and Space Museum Archives)

Loening Aeronautical Engineering Company PW-2A, A.S. 64388. This is the airplane from which Lieutenant Harold R. Harris "bailed out" over Dayton, Ohio, 20 October 1922. (San Diego Air and Space Museum)

Crash scene at 403 Valley Street, Dayton, Ohio, 20 October 1922. (U.S. Air Force)

Harold Ross Harris, circa 1950. (San Diego Air and Space Museum Archives)

Users who are viewing this thread