Top Ten Lists

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Right that's it. :mad:
Skim I'm not going to dish out any more praise on you ever again
if you cant reciprocate and tell everyone how fantastic and modest I am.
Listen up everyone. Do you hear there. Do you hear there. (do they say that over the Tannoy in the RCN same as the RN Skim ).
It is a well known fact that Skim's knowledge of aviation is limited too Russian rubber band powered spy craft 1947-59 including the design of the Twangyergussetoff MKIII and in navel matters how to re-float a plastic duck after sitting on it during ablutions ;) I rest my case.

I agree with you NS, if the conversation and discussions were boring, I wouldn't have stuck around. The interesting part is that everyone here has airplanes that they have interest in and knowledge of. It makes it good because if this was just a discussion board on say just one airplane, it would get pretty dull, pretty fast. The best part is I get to learn more about other planes that I may not know much about, or have never heard of before.

Did I forget to mention our resident modest old railway fella, trackend? :lol:
Ya see now, this is what keeps me coming back here. The love in these forums is indescribable! ;)

But trackie, I do have a dirty little secret. I have absolutely no idea how to refloat a plastic duck. :-k

I only do that if I want a Jacuzzi as I can't afford the real thing. mind you I have to use lots of bath salts to cover the stink :oops:
PS whinge rescinded, you are forgiven Skim me old Canadian mate :)

well, i know the canopy, rear turret and nose blister were perspex, i'm pretty sure it's the same for the other turrets but i wanna be cirtain.........

Your right Lanc. Perspex appears to have been pretty common on both sides of the pond for allied bombers. A better question for you (and I truly have no clue on this one), is do you know what properties perspex exhibited? Bullet resistance? Less crazing? Shatter resistant?

Is this a Dow Corning invention or one of the Brits? I too had not heard of it until I bought a book entitled "Gunner" that details gun positions on various allied and axis bombers, provides insight into personal gunner observations, hit ratios of various aircraft by type, circular hit probabilities for various turrets and waistgun positions, technical features, etc. Fascinating book if you are even remotely interested. Great photography too.

well that's not strictly a lancaster question is it??

but yes it didn't shatter as easily as glass, was less dangerous when it did and was easier to work with than glass........

Perspex is tougher then normal glass doesnt shatter like normal glass either.

Some of the bomber command rear gunners either cut some of the perspex from their turret, or had the whole centre panel removed in order to improve visibility. the downside of this was the extreme cold endured by them due to the icy blast let in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back