Translation Help - Revi gunsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greyman

Tech Sergeant
Jan 31, 2009
If anyone could help me out with this bit of German from the Revi 12/C sight manual I'd appreciate it:

Untitled-3.jpg

Thanks.

leuchtendes abkommen
durchmesser of vorhalte kreises = 10% der entfernung (z.b. 10 m bei 100 m entfernung)
strichunterbrechungen = 1% der entfernung

das abkommen des hilfsvisiers entspricht dem des reflexvisiers, aber nur bei einem augenabstand von 445 m von kreiskorn bzw 400 m von mitte reflexvisiers. anstatt der strichunterbrechungen von 1% der entfernung ist ein kreis mit einem radius von 1% der
entfernung angeordnet

Deviation Agreement
Diameter of circle suspensions = 10% of the distance (eg 10 m at 100 m distance)
dash interruptions = 1% of the distance

the agreement of the auxiliary visor corresponding to the reflex sight, but only at a viewing distance of 445 m from circle grain or 400 meters away from center reflex sight. Instead the dot-interruptions of 1% of the distance is a circle with a radius of 1% of arranged Distance

Last edited:
Ok, taking Mikewint's translation and trying to insert more appropriate english terms instead of direct translation:

Deviation Agreement
Illuminated Graticule

Diameter of circle suspensions = 10% of the distance (eg 10 m at 100 m distance)
Aiming circle diameter = 10% of the distance (eg: 10 m at 100m distance) 'distance' here being the total image projection size/angle? I'm not sure of the proper english term here.

dash interruptions = 1% of the distance
Cross-wire gaps = 1% of the distance

the agreement of the auxiliary visor corresponding to the reflex sight, but only at a viewing distance of 445 mm from circle grain or 400 mm away from center reflex sight.
The auxiliary sight graticule matches the main reflector sight, but only at a viewing distance of 445 mm from the ring sight or 400 mm away from the centre of the reflector sight.

Instead the dot-interruptions of 1% of the distance is a circle with a radius of 1% of
Instead of the cross-wire gaps of 1% of the distance, there is an inner ring with a radius of 1% of the arranged distance.

Assuming my red text is true:

10 metres at 100 metres is 5.72 degrees (or 101.77 mils / 343.48 minutes)

RAE measurements on a captured Revi sight give a graticule diameter of 5 degrees 48.5 minutes (or 348.5 minutes). British manufacturing tolerances on their graticule circles are listed as +/- 10 minutes ... so I think things are in agreement here.

Thanks for the help, Mikewint.

Grayman, it has been a LONG time since I've had to actually read Old German and then add the tech problems on top.
zum Beispiel: Leuchtendes had always meant "bright/shining" (to me) but did not fit with Abkommen which (to me) meant "agreement". Borhaltefreijes gave me fits until...I remembered that the "B"-looking character was actually a "V" in old German and the "j" was a K. and separating was the only way to make sense of it. I would have said:
"Ziel Kreisdurchmesser" for aiming circle.
It has been a Long time since I've actually used my German. Ich danke Ihnen für die Korrektur meiner deutschen Übersetzung

... the tech problems on top.

I am able to cheat somewhat due to having a german wartime manual translated by the British (a different one than I asked for help with in the original post). So in a couple of cases above I was able to

- take the german text you gave me (in modern latin characters)
- match it with text from the original german gunsight manual
- check to see what technical term the British assigned/translated for their version

This is probably what you are seeing in the biggest differences in my english text from your english text.

My Great Aunt Hanke was Prussian, born and bred...and this is what I was taught as a "kinder".

Problem is, what I thought was "German" turned out not to be the case when I went and took German in school (teacher thought I was yanking her chain and kicked me out)...so I can speak (limited) German with a near-perfect high-German accent but I always screw up words and/or the syntax in a conversation and usually give up (unless I am ordering beer...never give up when ordering beer)

Dave, just the opposite here my mothers people were farmers from southern Germany (near Munich) speaking Low German and probably with a regional accent on top of it. My fathers people were from North Germany (Near Hamburg) and well-to-do speaking High German. Great Grandfather was nearly disowned when he married Great Grandmother.
Dad's people always referred to her as Schweinemädchen.
Mom worked when I was 3 - 4YO so her mother and father took care of me and as such I learned all my German from them and mom who always switched to German when they did not want me to know what they were talking about. SO, I knew the words but as they were pronounced in Hillbilly German and my syntax was terrible as well. So I had the same surprise in school. Took a long time to unlearn

From my experience as an amateur translator, translation was not such an easy work as ones might imagine.
It usually requested me to spare a lot of my private time, patience and concentration.
Good job, Mike! :)

From my experience as an amateur translator, translation was not such an easy work as ones might imagine.
It usually requested me to spare a lot of my private time, patience and concentration.
Good job, Mike! :)
Even though we have several members from Japan, you have been a most valauable resource to the forum and your help is always appreciated, Shinpachi-san!

110% correct, how anyone ever learns the meaning of all those pictographs is beyond my comprehension. Took a day for me just to figure out those Old German letters!!

Chris, I was going to PM you and ask you to take a look at this translation. Once I figured out the letters most of the vocab was familiar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back