Trumpeter 1/32 BAC Lightning build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys i'll be glad when its done, my back has been hurting me over the past day so i ain't done much.

Finished off the FOD guards and gun port covers, also been making a rear view mirror for the canopy as the canopy has no detail at all

I've also been altering the canopy frame as trumpeters one is wrong.

lightning6001.jpg

FOD guards are scratch made and are removable.

lightning6007.jpg

Gun port covers.

lightning6004.jpg

lightning6005.jpg

The rear view mirror made up of three parts.

lightning6003.jpg

lightning6006.jpg

Starting to fill parts of the canopy with paint, when its dry i'll sand it back smooth, i'll be hand painting the yellow lines which are on the canopy the kits decals won't fit anymore.

my back was hurting me so i had to put the thing down !!not be long now before its done.

thanks for looking.

You guys will be pleased to know that its finally finished.

One last thing i did was to add grab/pull down handles/bars what ever you call then on each side of the canopy.

TrumpeterLightning001.jpg

Thankyou all for looking and watching

Well guys 'n' gals,

Here she is ! The kit only gave you two options of either F1a XM174 or F3 XR711, i went for a F1 as they are my all time fav', the kit only enabled you to make XM174 but after i got a second sheet of replacement decals it allowed me to cut and edit certain decals and i could make XM177 :D

A little history of XM177 'G'..........

ENGLISH ELECTRIC LIGHTNING F1a,92 SQUADRON RAF.

Lightning F1a XM177 'G' first flew in December 1960 and joined 56 Squadron at RAF Wattisham in Suffolk in early 1961. Selected as Fighter Command's Lightning aerobatic team for the 1963 airshow season, the squadron, known as The Firebirds, displayed in the spectacular livery depicted here. XM177 went to 226 Operational Conversion Unit in 1965, serving with various Lightning training flights before being scrapped in 1974.

TrumpeterLightning004.jpg

TrumpeterLightning005.jpg

TrumpeterLightning002.jpg

TrumpeterLightning003.jpg

TrumpeterLightning006.jpg

TrumpeterLightning007.jpg

TrumpeterLightning008.jpg

I nearly forgot to measure the baby ! heres how big she is.......

Length .. 18 inches.
Height .. 8 inches.
wing tip to wing tip... 13 inches.
Measuring both the wings and the fuselage is about 26 inches.

Also in the pictures is a 1/48th Kittyhawk and a 1/32nd Hunter to show the size.

This is the first time i've ever made the red FOD gaurds which are all removable and that includes the ''remove before flight'' tags, turned out quite well if don't mind saying, the white XM177 on the front on the FOD gaurd is hand painted on and not a decal.

TrumpeterLightning035.jpg

TrumpeterLightning034.jpg

TrumpeterLightning033.jpg

TrumpeterLightning032.jpg

TrumpeterLightning031.jpg

TrumpeterLightning030.jpg

TrumpeterLightning029.jpg

TrumpeterLightning028.jpg

More..............

TrumpeterLightning011.jpg

TrumpeterLightning017.jpg

TrumpeterLightning016-1.jpg

Thats all folks and thanks to all the guys who have helped me with this build.

*** LOOK BACK A PAGE AND YOU WILL SEE MORE PICTURES ***

ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back