Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The enlarged shot of the profile reveals tha the caption is a little bit leading us astray. The girl doesn't hold the signboard but the one is nailed to the cross-border column. The girl keeps something that looks like a bunch of flowers welcoming a Red Army soldier "bringing freedom". I think it is the allegory of the eternal soviet's dream of liberation of all people in the western Europe and gathering them all under the red flag. Also it is possible the artwork could have symbolised the soviet's pipe dream of conquering Poland and taking revenge on Poles because of breaking Russian duff during the Polish–Soviet War 1919-1921.

yak1 31giap Morozov.jpg

Last edited:
It was the war when Poles stopped the communism going west. The Battle of Warsaw was the decisive Polish victory in 1920 at the apogee of the Polish–Soviet War. Poland, on the verge of total defeat, repulsed and defeated the invading Red Army. It was, and still is, celebrated as a great victory for the Polish people over Russia and communism.

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure if your questions have been answered or not but I built the Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 (Late) earlier this year for GB25. My build thread has sprue shots and documents the process from beginning to end.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-2...ck-12-allied-manufactured-aircraft-42858.html

The kit is a good one, nice cockpit detailing, fit is good... no problem areas that I can think of. Although, I do agree with Wojtek's assessment that the riveting is a bit overdone and the relief on the fabric-covered control surfaces needs to be toned down. And Geo's right about the IP... not much to work with there. I ended up punching instrument faces from spare decals to dress it up.

It's a very small plane so the color scheme you pictured would be quite a challenge at 1/48 (forget it at 1/72!). I've seen pre-made airbrush masks of irregular blotches... something along those lines might be the way to do it.

.... and the relief on the fabric-covered control surfaces needs to be toned down.

If there is still a daubt about the fabric-covered control surfaces of a Mig-3 here are two shots of MiG-3 remnants. The skin of the rudder and the elevator is still tightened like a drumhead.

Mig-3 stery.jpg

mig3_10.jpg

Much obliged young man! For what I understand, the 401st IAP, was an elite unit, with test pilots and based in the Moscow area, is that correct?

As memo serves yes that's correct. It was formed on initiative of Hero of the Soviet Union Stepan Suprun.

And another kite of the squadron found via the net.

mig3_001.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots Wojtek. It would be safe to assume then that one could fill in the craters on the rudder and elevators flush, add some thin, flat plastic strip and then sand that almost flush.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back