Turning ranking of western allies fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vincenzo

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 24, 2007
Ciociaria
What's the turning ranking of wester allies fighters? (so put out some contrapposition)

my estimation (after reading some tactical trials) :
Hurricane
Spitfire (the earlier and lightest a bit best of late and heaviest)
Mustang (the allison engined maybe a bit best)
Spitfire 21
Lightning
Thunderbolt
Typhoon
Tempest

please give you opinion (educated it's best) i miss some fighters you can add its

The Typhoon turned slightly better than the Tempest, and both turned better than the P-47. Also I don't believe any Mustang turned better than a Spitfire.

I'd also like to point out that the Typhoon Tempest both turned better than the P-47 at low altitude, at high altitude the P-47 was a good turner, better than most other Allied fighters safe from perhaps the high alt Spits.

Turning between Typhoon/Tempest
Very Similar. Any difference appears to be in favour of the Typhoon. This is too slight to alter combat tactics.
I would rank these the same.

P-47vsTyphoon
The P-47C was considered far superior in rate of roll to the Typhoon, and at 20,000 feet in turning circles proved itself slightly better.
Only in roll rate does it say its better, only at 20,000 feet (and im sure above) the P-47 takes over. These are two different aircraft as the Typhoon was a low level aircraft and the P-47 was more towards high altitude. I would give the advantage to the Typhoon down low, and the P-47 up high.

Here is my list:
Hurricane
Spitfire
Mustang
Typhoon/Tempest (Tied for being basically the same)
Lightning
Thunderbolt

Now this can oviously change due to altitude and other factors, but this is my list on how I would think it ranks. I took the spit 21 out as it would probably fall under the same as the other spits.

Last edited:
For Mustang over the Spitfire 21 here http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/wade-turning.jpg, being a british test i assume that knew the spit 21.

Beaupower saw nothing it's write i've assumed that under 20"k the turning it's near but if you've source for Typh/Temp best i'm happy to change my position.

For help i report here data (only for western) in juha post 99 on soviet tests

Hurricane IIA 17/18"
Spitfire F IX 17.5"
P-40C 18"
P39D-2 17.7/18.7"
Spitfire LF IX 18.5"
Spitfire VB 18.8"
P-40E 19.2"
P-39Q-15 20/21" (w/o gunpoads)
Mustang I 23" (early I)
P-47D-10 26" or 30" source contrast
P-47 27/28"

p.s. i preferee the tactical test with direct comparation of 2 o more planes that singular test on a plane

Last edited:
I remember saw a comparison of US navy fighters and US army fighters some know where is?

nobody has comparison/knew where are with *cobras, *hawks, *cats and corsair? (and Whirlwind?)

p.s. and Buffalo

Last edited:
i just find some for US navy fighters

Wildcat (test variant FM-2)
Hellcat (only a bit best of Corsair) (F6F-5)
Corsair (F4U-1D)

i also found that Corsair (F4U-1) has superiour manuevrability of Mustang (P-51B) but, in that test, there are not comment specificy on turn.

Last edited:
i found also this
in tactical trials of P-51 (so allison engined) "The turning characteristics of the subject aircraft are substantially the same as the P-40F and the P-39D. None of these appears to have any definite superior turning characteristics. "

I'd also like to point out that the Typhoon Tempest both turned better than the P-47 at low altitude, at high altitude the P-47 was a good turner, better than most other Allied fighters safe from perhaps the high alt Spits.

soren have you docs for reference that thyphoon tempest turned better of P-47 at low ?

soren have you docs for reference that thyphoon tempest turned better of P-47 at low ?

No docs, just the knowledge that the higher power to weight ratio + lower lift loading of the Typhoon Tempest at low altitude would've allowed it to turn tighter than the P-47.

I don't place much faith in all these flight tests as the results depends mostly on how experienced the pilot is and how much flying time he has in the particular a/c, plus the state and engine performance of the a/c.

My list is as follows:
Hurricane
Spitfire
P-40
P-39
P-51 Typhoon (Probably slight edge to the P-51 because of its low drag)
Tempest
P-47 (Better than most at high alt though)

No docs, just the knowledge that the higher power to weight ratio + lower lift loading of the Typhoon Tempest at low altitude would've allowed it to turn tighter than the P-47.

I don't place much faith in all these flight tests as the results depends mostly on how experienced the pilot is and how much flying time he has in the particular a/c, plus the state and engine performance of the a/c.

My list is as follows:
Hurricane
Spitfire
P-40
P-39
Tempest

In addition, it should be noted that the P-40, P-39, and P-51 were very similar in turning ability, and were all pretty good turners (but the Spitfire was absolutely exceptional.) At low level, at any rate, US Army trials found that there was "no difference" in overall manuverability between those three fighters (this was the P-51B, presumably the heavier D turned a little worse,) except, perhaps, the P-40 having a slight edge. (This is from the P-51B tactical trials over at wwii aircraft performance, but it's 5AM here and I can't be bothered to run down the link just now. Most of us here have seen it anyways, I suspect.)

My list is as follows:
Hurricane
Spitfire
P-40
P-39
Tempest

i limited to ranking to western allies so to limited trouble with test condition, the US fighters tested from british were in regualar service in RAF, so they need know good this planes.

there is a US test that put P-39, P-40 and P-51 (allison) in same level for turn capabilities
there is a british test that put Mustang over the Typhoon for turn capabilities

Users who are viewing this thread

Back