TV shows on "other" networks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
Since i work evenings i rarely get to watch TV and that is generally ok with me. every so often a decent show would pop up and i would record it for later. over the past couple years the other networks like FX, AMC, history have started making their own original series. i ended up finding about 3 or 4 that are pretty good and thought i would pass them on in case others didnt know of them. i know these are US shows but might be available online somewhere.

The Americans on FX channel.

This is set in the Reagan cold war years. and the premise is the KGB recruited young men and women as agents. they set them up as a married couple in a travel agency as a front for their spying activities. i think it is actualy pretty well written and they tie events from those years into the story line. it is a little risque at times as they sometimes use seduction to get information. it is in its second season...the first is probably on netflicks or amazon prime.

the Vikings on history channel

the first battle of britian :). the life and times of a young viking who rose to take over a small kindgom. he takes his ships and plunders parts of england when he isnt tangled up in the politics at home. another one i think is well written....it is very bloody as they portray the battles as realistic as they can.

Justified on FX

about a us marshal in a backwoods kentucky district. of course he always pushes the envelope and gets away with it for the most part. the characters are colorful. its in its 5th season.

Turn ( a new series premering sunday 4/6 on amc )

i have not seen anything but the commercials but will probably check it out. it is set during the revolutionary war and I am guessing is based on the culper spy ring in new york that gave general washington information. it has the potential to be decent...we'll see.

Last edited:
Bobby, now that the Walking Dead is done for the season I too have been looking forward to Turn. If one can credit the pre-views it would seem to be an excellent series but as you say time will tell. I enjoyed the "Patriot" even through the PP History. I've caught a few of the Vikings episodes but since I've missed others. Will pick up the series on DVD. The rest I've skipped

yeah i like the dead ( i actually didnt get into that until the end of the second season ) and was going to list that but think everyone has heard of it. you might try netflicks or amazon prime if you have either of those for back episodes...or even go the channels site. sometimes they have previous episodes for free. you ought to check out the americans...i think older people will get it more than anyone under the age of 40...

Since I have broadcast TV, I catch several of the vintage shows or the movie/retro channels. Like last night, I saw "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" on the Movies! channel. Also get to see shows like Hogan's Heros, Combat!, 12 O'Clock High.

I have no real use for the new stuff the networks are putting out.

Didn't know about Vikings until recently, haven't watched it yet, True Detective is another one that looks interesting I have to say....right now, Cosmos is going on the picture box....btw, don't know if Vikings is showing here in the UK, as I've seen nothing about it....

Hopefully, Thor isn't a demi God, like in Avengers Assemble.....that really annoys me! :lol:
By the sounds of it, it seems like a series I need to watch......is it a bloody as those old classic Icelandic Viking movies?

Hopefully, Thor isn't a demi God, like in Avengers Assemble.....that really annoys me! :lol:
By the sounds of it, it seems like a series I need to watch......is it a bloody as those old classic Icelandic Viking movies?

thor really isnt in this at all. they make more remarks to/about odin...and some of the other gods...and there is a really creepy looking soothsayer. and yes, it is very bloody...which is why i dont ask my wife to watch it. gorey stuff really doesnt appeal to her...and there is plenty blood, gore, guts in this series....even the women get into the slicing and dicing.

hope the series Turn is decent...have the dvr set to record it tonight. will let you know...

Last edited:
thor really isnt in this at all. they make more remarks to/about odin...and some of the other gods...and there is a really creepy looking soothsayer. and yes, it is very bloody...which is why i dont ask my wife to watch it. gorey stuff really doesnt appeal to her...and there is plenty blood, gore, guts in this series....even the women get into the slicing and dicing.

hope the series Turn is decent...have the dvr set to record it tonight. will let you know...

Cheers pal! See how long it takes before showing here in the UK....

DVRed Turn last night but didnt get a chance to watch it. the pilot was 2 1/2 hours.....i will catch up with it tonight and later in the week.

no wayne...no spoilers....not from me anyways... :)

Watched TURN last night. I would give it a B grade. A bit slow paced but the action sequences are well done. I'll definitely watch #2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back