Twin seat conversions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
The 'America's hundred thousand' book has the pic of the P-38, s/n 40-744, that being 'a test bed with installation of a second cockpit in the port boom, apparently to test pilot reactions to an asymetric location for some other intended application'.

Didn't say anything about that in the film !. They said is was to help the '38 pilots get used to the acceleration that the '38 could provide as the Stearman was a bit slow.....aparently !

Improvised, two-seat Spitfires, starting with a South African 4(SAAF) Sqn modification: Okay, where did they put the fuel tanks???

2cockpitSpitfire1-001_zps68a1aaa8.gif

Soviet Spitfire IX UTI:

spitfire-9-uti_zpsa1bd739f.gif

2cockpitSpitfire2-002_zpsd352d7be.gif

Aren't there a couple of twin seater Spitfires still flying in the UK today. They seem to get wheeled out when ever there is a Battle of Britain programme on TV, often involving Dan Snow going wow.

Aren't there a couple of twin seater Spitfires still flying in the UK today. They seem to get wheeled out when ever there is a Battle of Britain programme on TV, often involving Dan Snow going wow.

There's the well known ML407 (G-LFIX), an ex-485(NZ) Sqn veteran
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDzjcaMZz4U

PV202 ( G-BHGH, G-TRIX G-CCCA): Shoreham Airshow 2013 - 31st August-1st September - Supermarine Spitfire IXT PV202 - Aircraft Restoration Company

AFAIK they're all still currently airworthy.

It always surprised me that the Spitfire 2 seater could fly, all conversations about extending the range of the Spitfire say that the rear fuel tank made it unstable. I would have thought a passenger would do the same.

Hawker Hurricane, apparently converted and used by the P-47 equipped 346th FS, 350th FG as a target-tug and liaison aircraft in early 1944

brit_zpsdf6d466c.gif

gb2pl1r_zpsef664ed6.gif

P-39

us8_zps095ae07f.gif

us3_zps8b9897b1.gif

Nifty F4U photo Dave. I've got several books on the aircraft and I don't recall it even mentioned. How do you make a P-39 uglier, make it a trainer.

Geo

Nifty F4U photo Dave. I've got several books on the aircraft and I don't recall it even mentioned.
Vought built a single model from a F4U-1 airframe as a proposal for a trainer series. The U.S.N. showed no interest and the airframe was converted to a standard build F4U-1. Unfortunately, I don't have the aircraft's serial number reference.

How do you make a P-39 uglier, make it a trainer.
As far as ugly P-39s go, how about a P-63 tandem seater?

P63-2seat.jpg

Last edited:
One might claim that F4U needed two seater variant more than most of the other SE fighters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back