Typhoon photos ( larger file sizes so be patient)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Here are all the Typhoon photos that I got this weekend. I hope one or more are of some help to those who are currently building or thinking about building a Typhoon model. For those not building, enjoy.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Great shots Jeff.
Yes Karl, it does look different, even compared to when I saw it at Cosford last October.
A lot of the front end is 'false' anyway, as cowling panels, the spinner, radiator and trunking were missing when returned from the USA after the war. The radiator is 'mocked up' from a truck part, the trunking is (or was) linoleum, and the spinner is a composite, made from a Hastings or Varsity spinner, hence the odd shape to it, especially in profile.

hendon Tiffie.jpg
Great shots Jeff.
Yes Karl, it does look different, even compared to when I saw it at Cosford last October.
A lot of the front end is 'false' anyway, as cowling panels, the spinner, radiator and trunking were missing when returned from the USA after the war. The radiator is 'mocked up' from a truck part, the trunking is (or was) linoleum, and the spinner is a composite, made from a Hastings or Varsity spinner, hence the odd shape to it, especially in profile.

i know but it looks very different to when it was at Hendon, it has been re painted for sure as it had a sky spinner back then, cannon barrels missing now too, but it now looks more like a replica than before, don't you think ?

i think it might just be that Jeff has taken much better pictures than i managed when at Hendon !
here is what it looked like in 2011 when i was there.

Last edited:
You might have a point there mate.
I noticed the wheels and tyres, and a few other areas too. It does actually look more like a replica, with even the paint scheme looking wrong - I need to check my pics taken at Cosford last October.
Although it would be 'off' to send a replica, I have to remember the article published in 'Radar', the RAFM member's magazine, last year, stating that the Typhoon had moved to Cosford for renovation, and would then be on display there when work was completed. When I saw it in the Conservation Facility at Cosford, it looked different to Jef's pics, and no mention of a move to Canada.
Lack of cannons, the inclusion of 'mock up' RPs and rails, and a few other areas, make me wonder if it's been sent and not fully finished for display, especially with those 'false-looking' code letters. And even the windscreen and canopy look slightly odd.
Hmm !

First off Jeff, thanks for the excellent pictures and for crawling on the floor to get the wheel well shots. Secondly, I agree with all that this thing looks far from convincing as a 440 squadron Tiffie for the reasons mentioned. In addition, why is it carrying rockets?????

I don't understand why a reputable museum would go through the trouble of displaying the world's only surviving Typhoon and yet not bother to do a bit of high-school level research to ensure that the artifact is a proper representation of the real thing.

you know Andy, i never even clocked the RP's being wrong weapons fit !

i suppose as the Typhoon is synonymous with rockets maybe they thought thats what people might want to see, so why not paint it in the markings of a bombphoon instead ?

off the top of my head i dont know if any of the RCAF Tiffies carried bombs or were they all RP fitted ?

What a shame we'll never see one in the air again. My favorite Brutus plane with that Clutch Cargo chin! The sound of those Sabres are spine tingling on youtube!

" ....any of the RCAF Tiffies carried bombs or were they all RP fitted .."

All bombs, IB :)

EDIT

I stand corrected as these RCAF photos show .... source Johnny Typhoon, a Canadian Fighter Pilot's Story.

Attachments

• Colton02.jpg
    Colton02.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Colton45.jpg
    Colton45.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Colton15.jpg
    Colton15.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Colton16.jpg
    Colton16.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Here's a couple of pics of her, and her own engine, last October at the Conservation facility at Cosford, when she'd been there just a couple of weeks. At this point, an announcement had just been made about the transfer to Canada, but she was due to go on display at the RAFM Cosford.
Note the matt paint, full AEAF stripes and lack of code letters (which she never wore in 'real life').
The wheels and tyres were also original Typhoon, as shown in Karl's pic, but she seems now to be be fitted with either Sea Fury or Firefly type wheels and tyres, and the cannons seem to be absent from the shrouds.
I'm assuming that the 'green' engine is a separate item, painted and prepared for display by the Canadian museum.
Whether this is how it was sent to Canada, or the changes were made there, I don't know.

Attachments

• Typhoon 1.jpg
    Typhoon 1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Typhoon 2.jpg
    Typhoon 2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 163
  • Typhoon 3.jpg
    Typhoon 3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 172

Users who are viewing this thread

Back