Unknown aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, my eyes are shit, but it looks like there's a cranked leading edge to the wing?

new.JPG

Based on the profile, a Klemm Kl 35 of sorts, with an enclosed canopy? I can't explain the presence of the canopy.

ac218387.jpg

Look at the cockpit and the maingear, they aren't the same. The mystery ship has a greenhouse canopy along the style of a Ju87 or a Bf110.

If it's a Klemm, it's an extremely rare varient...plus it's not in test/prototype livery, it's been assigned to an active unit.

Well, after a considerable search, I have come to the conclusion that the "mystery ship" is certainly a Klemm Kl35.

It turns out that there were quite a few "oddballs" associated with the single-seat, dual-seat and the floatplane version. As we've seen, the Klemm even had a "sporty" sedan style closed canopy for the two-seater, too.

However, I came across a single seat with a bubble canopy, the photo showing it to be at what looked an Italian fly-in circa 1938/1939.

Another unusual Klemm I saw, was the WKl35 with a unique enclosed canopy...the only one I have seen so far:
image.jpg

So my guess is, that perhaps someone decided that they liked the "greenhouse" style canopy of the previously mentioned Ju87 or Bf110 and decided to customize that particular Kl35.

What do you guys think?

By the way, Geo...you'll find that the Klemm had two different maingear configurations.

There was the older "spar" type, like in the original photo and then the later type that had a single, dampened strut (with or without spats)

You'll also find that the tail gear was a skid with the spar-style maingear and a tail-wheel usually accompanied the single-strut style gear.

What do you guys think?

I'm still thinking Klemm, Dave. And like Geo, I am now finding references to a canopied version (something I never knew about) - but I find it somewhat unusual there aren't more photos of them on the net?

So, Snautzer has a photo of a very rare canopied version of a Klemm Kl 35? Well done sir! :thumbleft:

35.jpg

I'm sure it's a Klemm, Graeme, after an exhaustive search, it simply cannot be anything else.

Like I mentioned to Geo, there were two canopied two-seaters available, one being that "sporty" razorback style seen in Geo's post for the land version and the canopied two-seater float version I posted earlier today.

Here's a rare pre-war sport version, called the Kl35 Special, note the bubble canopy:
image.jpg

Here's the Kl35B whith the enclosed two-seat cabin (again, prewar):
image.jpg

To add an interesting note, the Kl106 trainer had the strutted gear and elevator support strut (like the early Bf109 versions) seen here next to a captured Stirling:
image.jpg

I fully agree, that photo with the "greenhouse" canopy is a remarkable find!

This may be of some interest:
I happened to have a look in my "X-planes" book by Greihl, too see if there may have been some unusual prototypes made by Klemm and there were only two prototypes before production:
V1 (WkNmr 959) D-EHXE, which crashed on 19 July 1935, 5 months after it's flight.
V2 (WkNmr 960) D-ERQA, which first flew in September 1935 and later went on to Rechlin for performance trials.

Both were two-seaters, however, there is a footnote stating that the second one was "fitted with a glazed cabin section for flight behaviour tests".

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

Interesting photos Dave and nice detective work! :thumbleft:
So, possibly trialing a cockpit intended for another aircraft?

I saw this in a book today...

Thunderbirds.jpg

The back wall fascinated me, so I had a closer look - what do you guys think this is?...

starting again20160701_11040493.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back