Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/72 Bf 109H-1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User Name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: 2- Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Kit: MPM #72069: Messerschmitt Bf 109H-1

Extras: Eduard #SS263: BF 109G-14 (for Academy kit)

This is MPM's take on the Bf 109H-1.
20231220_234512.jpg
20231220_235551.jpg

If you trawl the various books and the net, you will find one thing stands out: NOBODY agrees on what it actually looked like. There are no photos.
We know the test aircraft were interim modifications on existing Bf 109G-5 airframes, but that in itself leads to 3 possible tail wheel configurations, and 2 canopy options. The wings had 2 m inserts added at the root, with radiators removed from the wings and added to these, but people can't agree if the wings themselves were extended, like the various factory examples involved in this project, or standard.
She did have the tall tail however (unlike the H-0 which -I believe- retained the standard 109F-4 tail)
In addition to this, most say 2× MG17 in the cowl, but some say plated over. Hard to know...

MPM have modelled one of the 'most likely' appearances of the interim (Stuffe 1a) test version,
backed up by one profile and picture found on the net (below)
bf109h.gif

bf109h.jpg

(Source: Bf-109H-1 High-altitude fighter. )

I personally have never seen pictures of a G-5 with the bulged doors for the tail wheel, so will give it the below profile.
cc4b859d94ced00979f7cd03fad0d4fb.jpg

(Source:
View: https://br.pinterest.com/pin/553168766727630848/ )

Just need to decide what tail wheel type, canopy type, and whether to add tailplane braces or not.

The vertical stabilizer (at least on the plans) looks like a variant of the Me 209-II or Me 309 (it makes sense that the tail would be bigger).
I would start from there.
Admittedly, there are rumors circulating on the net/literature that the engine in question was a DB 605D, i.e. a variant with a larger supercharger, i.e. a fairing from the G-10 / K model, but I am not sure if it is a test model or a projected production variant.

Cheers mate. Yeah, according to 'Militaria i Fakty #52: Messerschmitt Bf 109F-K Vol.2', that version was the Stufe (step/level) 1b, though likewise I have no idea how many were produced.
20231221_201718.jpg

The best thing is that (at least for now) nobody can't say that you are wrong.😉
One fine day, I hope to finish my 109H as well.
Of course, when I find time to finally draw and print the nose for the variant with the DB 628 engine.

Otherwise, there is a slightly newer version of the AZ model that has a large tail. I think it's currently unavailable.

Cheers again mate.
I have seen the AZ kit on the net, and I think it's probably the best bet to model a field tested H-1. I already have the MPM kit plus a Mark Miniatures kit (Italeri F-4 kit with resin conversion parts) though, so want to use them up. (I will make an H-0 from the Mark kit at some stage).

Good luck with your own project (especially the DB628 version!)

As with others, looking forward to the progress. Looks like you have a lot of 'de-flash' tasks to work with! Have fun and Happy New Year....

Cheers guys.

Yeah, a bit of clean up work, but not too bad. Cockpit needs superdetailing. My personal opinion is that it should have the standard mainplanes with the inserts, without the extended wingtips, but everyone has a different opinion on that, so I'll leave it as it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back