Unusual Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Happy now............the Miles M.39B Libellula....Miles M.39B Libellula - Wikipedia

Untitled.jpg

This is the Short S.B. 6 Seamew:

45fab2b708eb76a9e23a96cacc3486a2.jpg

A bit strange, but not nearly as ugly as some. They actually built 27 of them, and they were a robust, simple ASW aircraft with the latest airborne radars. Nothing there but what was needed. Not altogetehr a bad idea ... a cheap but effective plane when compared with other offerings.

Remings me of a quote I once heard from a Pentagon source, "It can't be much of a weapon system. It's on-time and under-budget!"

Another was the Tu91 turboprop torpedo bomber:

http://www.unicraft.biz/on/tu91/tu91-box.jpg

The Pilatus SB-2 doesn't look all that bad. It is recognizable as an airplane at least. I was actually looking for strange military planes, but this is interesting. You never know where it will go.

Don't know what it is, but this one looks interesting:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/00/0f/cb/000fcb911f2ac7f51318c30882316e9a.jpg

At first I thought it was a joke as the first place I found it was here, almost at the bottom of the page
Double Double - The Story of the Zwillingsbiber Beaver > Vintage Wings of Canada

But then I also found it here...
Strange Aircraft: Fouga CM.88 Gemeaux - Diseno-art

Thanks!

I was goling to look for it, but didn't have time this evening.

Always nice to ID another one, courtesy of forum friends.

Here's one I believe is one of the ugliest to date that I have come across:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6227/6302417282_2dfcce6366_o.jpg

I remember Rodney Dangerfield once told the jokje, "I was so ugly that when I was born, the Doctor slapped my mother!" This one reminds me of that one.

More Rodney, "It has a face that makes a train want to take a dirt road on a rainy night," and the classic, "My sister was so ugly we used to have to tie a roast beef to her to get the dog to play with her."

Last edited:
A bit strange, but not nearly as ugly as some. They actually built 27 of them, and they were a robust, simple ASW aircraft with the latest airborne radars. Nothing there but what was needed. Not altogetehr a bad idea ... a cheap but effective plane when compared with other offerings.

Another opinion...

Seamew.JPG

The site where I found it said 27, but 19 sounds a lot better. I wonder why they ever made the second one ...

It IS ugly, but not as ugly as the 3-engine monstrosity above it a bit in the posts.

I always wondered about that aircraft. But, you have to admit that of the tail is strong enough to handle unprepared field landings, it's probably stronger than any OTHER design's tail. It certainly won't "nose over" with any ease. I suspect that if it did, nobody would survive because it would have hit a boulder or something similar.

Lends credence to the thought France came up with a lot of ugly airplanes right alongside some of the most beautiful. To me the Art Deco winner of all flying boats would have to be this one, also French:

631.jpg

It is the Latecoere 631 and it certainly has more style than many others did. Too bad the war got in its way, or it might have grabbed a lot of traveler's fancy. Came complete with the requisite kitchen and French chef, naturally, and the Champaign.

Last edited:
The Caponi Ca 60

Ok, never heard of this one before, but I am with the Pilot on this... "Nope!" Rest of the text is copied not mine.
CaproniCa60.jpg

An oldie but a goodie, at least until it crashed and burned… literally.

This "plane" was created back when aviation was new and everyone was still trying to figure out the whole physics thing. The Caponi came from an idea that more wings would mean that bigger things could fly. You know, because bigger birds have more wings, right?

Sure, things may have ended badly, but this weird plane did manage to get 60 feet in the air before beginning its first and last descent.

Amazingly, the pilot escaped the wreckage unharmed. Onlookers claim he just kept saying "nope!" over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back