Unusual Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Being serious for once, would the turbulence from the front wings create a problem for the center wings which in turn created more problems for the rear wings making it impossible to fly safely?

Being serious for once, would the turbulence from the front wings create a problem for the center wings which in turn created more problems for the rear wings making it impossible to fly safely?

I read ballast shifted in flight - which caused the crash. If I was Caproni - that's what I'd be saying.

The Horton Wingless (even though it does have retractable wings)...

IMG_0942.JPG

And how Hughes "sabotaged" the project...

Perjaps a rudder might have helped the Ca 60, though I suspect an elevator and fixed tailplane might have also been high on the priority list. Probably highest would have been a chief designer!

While that Folland isn't nearly as ugly as some that came before it this thread, I have to admit it is less than the best-looking single engine bomber ever built.

Nobody ever said Howard Hughes wasn't above a little "high handedness" and, back than ... more than today even, money talked and people listened. Too bad it was banned for 50 years. I can see Horton with a good, solid case against the government worth a LOT of money, assuming it ever gets pursued and no "unfortu ate accidents" occur.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a wind tunnel test of Gustav Whitehead's design that supposed to have flown before the Wright Brothers.

This Caproni thing would NEVER fly. Imagine a flying boat today with a bilge that wasn't compartmented! Nobody is THAT stupid! I think Graeme was correct above when he said if he were Caproni, that's what he would be saying, too.

I'm not too sure how anyone expected an operational aircaft of the time to get by with fixed landing gear ... but it does look better than the Barracuda. Then again, so does the north end of a southbound donkey.

It was only built as a research aircraft, so didn't need the retractable landing gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back