US fighter production. Feasibility to scale up?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not a problem. Some still seem to claim it is in a 'death spiral' and to be cancelled any day...:D
The talking heads were convinced that the F-16 was a waste of money, plagued by cost over-runs, too complicated to be of any use in combat situations, doomed to failure, no other nations would be interested in buying it, etc.

You can literally go back to all those articles from the 70's and 80's and replace the word "F-16" with the word "F-35" and you'd never know the difference...

As a Canadian, I agree. We have a government that is shy about military spending, which slows things quite a bit. Personally, I'd like to see us buy new F-15s, but there's a serious issue with that, as Boeing has damaged the Canadian indigenous aircraft industry, so buying from them is a REALLY tough call. That pretty much leaves the F-35 or some lesser European airplane. Tough decision for us up here. Honestly, I don't know what the best path is...
I thought Diefenbacker torpedoed Canada's indigenous aircraft industry.

re Boeing recent damaging of Canada's indigenous aircraft industry.

Short story is Boeing (rightly or wrongly) used the mini-trade war during the Trump administration to screw up sales of Canadian built aircraft to the US market, by arguing for penalties against Bombadier, resulting in a 300% tariff. There is was a bit more involved, see:

"U.S. backs 300 percent in duties on Bombardier after Boeing complaint"

re Boeing recent damaging of Canada's indigenous aircraft industry.

Short story is Boeing (rightly or wrongly) used the mini-trade war during the Trump administration to screw up sales of Canadian built aircraft to the US market, by arguing for penalties against Bombadier, resulting in a 300% tariff. There is was a bit more involved, see:

"U.S. backs 300 percent in duties on Bombardier after Boeing complaint"

Thats not destroying the indigenous market. Bombardiers decision to get in bed with Airbus on the CJ program did more to harm that. In the end Airbus bought the CJ outright (Bombardier had to sell to prevent going bankrupt), renaming it the A220, and Bombardier is out of the commercial airline market.

The Canadian aircraft industry was sabotaged by politics (both foreign and domestic) and poor decisions more than anything.

Just pointing out what (I think) KeithA0000 alluded to in his post#36 up-thread.

Also, he said ". . . Boeing has damaged . . .", not 'has destroyed'.

Also, I did say ". . . (rightly or wrongly) . . ." and "There is was a bit more involved . . ."

:D

Last edited:
Yeah but the country that says it wrong also drives on the wrong side of the road.

34B86A74-D4E3-46D6-A9BA-1F1C98C66D54.gif

Yeah but the country that says it wrong also drives on the wrong side of the road.

Which country is wrong? America copied the French in driving on the right, whereas the Brits drive on the left because, back in days of yore, driving on the left meant you could defend yourself with your sword hand.

So please tell me who's right? :)

(And the correct answer is the Brits are right, if for no other reason that ANYTHING French is INHERENTLY WRONG....except baguettes and brie) :)

Which country is wrong? America copied the French in driving on the right, whereas the Brits drive on the left because, back in days of yore, driving on the left meant you could defend yourself with your sword hand.

So please tell me who's right? :)

(And the correct answer is the Brits are right, if for no other reason that ANYTHING French is INHERENTLY WRONG....except baguettes and brie) :)
back in the days of yore, what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back