US fighter production. Feasibility to scale up?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, how long WOULD it take to get the Tesla plant to produce F-35's? Or build a new factory from the ground up. I'm assuming that with a national emergency environmental hangups would be put on hold. Even in the 1940s we were talking about over a year to get factories fully converted to war production.

So, how long WOULD it take to get the Tesla plant to produce F-35's? Or build a new factory from the ground up. I'm assuming that with a national emergency environmental hangups would be put on hold. Even in the 1940s we were talking about over a year to get factories fully converted to war production.
Realistically, about 36-48 months to bring a new facility online from the ground up. Realize that we use about 5 million square feet of building space currently, just for production and production support. Pratt is somewhere around 26-30 months from date of order to delivery on engines. It would take about 18-36 months for delivery on the specialized robotic tooling, set up and calibration. You also have to find, hire and train hundreds of employees to do the actual work.

Consider this...the F-16 line was moved from Fort Worth to Greenville, SC, and it took almost 3 years to get that line completely up and running. As areas in the FW operation completed the last scheduled parts, they were closed out and moved to the new facility and set up. Greenville just mated their first fuselage.

Additionally, during the 1940s, business did not have to deal with a lot of OSHA and environmental requirements that have to be in place in a factory. You're also looking at aircraft that are probably 100 times more complicated than what was being produced during World War II.

Question: In the video, the cockpit canopy has a warning not to cut with in 3 inches of frame. If not classified, why?
Also at appx 2:30 of the video that appears to be the original XB-24.

I've wondered about that no cut warning myself.

As a crash firefighter, I was trained that generally "no cut" meant that cutting would sever a hydraulic line, which at 3-5,000 psi could cut a man in half. There were also electrical considerations involved; cutting through a live wire could have an unhappy ending too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back