US Fighters shooting down Soviet fighters - Berlin 1945 ???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D said:
Why do you think it was a huge mistake? We let them waste a million or so lives trying to take it while we sat back. I think it was a great idea.

Yeah, and looked what happened after the war...

The Soviet Union collapsed, and all the Russians are still starving in their third world country. And?

Where does it say humpty dumpty was an egg though. Could someone tell me this, as there are no egg references in the rhyme whatsoever. :lol:

Mine did, and it was quite clearly an egg. But then, as with all things during childhood it was a lie! The ryhme is about a cannon ...

The cannon didn't actually fall apart, as such. It was a Royalist artillery piece that was stationed next to St.Marys Church during the siege of Colchester in the English Civil War. A Parliamentarian artillery piece managed to smash the wall below the "Humpty Dumpty" which caused to go crashing to the ground. The Royalists could not replace it as it was so heavy, and Colchester eventually fell.

Humpty Dumpty was a term in the 15th-16th Century for obese people. And the "Humpty Dumpty" cannon was named as such because it was so big.

I believe in some other cases Russian and Allied where nearly engaging.

I rememeber having read an account - I do not remember if it was Johnnie Jonson's or Pierre Clostermann's - The accounts tells he was flying over Berlin, and a formation of Yak tryed to move on their 6 o clock. In the book he tells he cannot accept this, and the two formations - RAF and VVS - were manuevering in order to get the best firing position. Then the Russian decided to break.

The source must be, as far as I rememeber, one of the final chapters of one of the following two books:
Jhonnie Johnson - Squadron Leader
Pierre Clostermann - The big circle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back