US Fighters shooting down Soviet fighters - Berlin 1945 ???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tensions were allways high, but I dont think there was ever a time, when the allied poweres deliberatly attacked one another for that purpose.

plan_D said:
The cannon didn't actually fall apart, as such. It was a Royalist artillery piece that was stationed next to St.Marys Church during the siege of Colchester in the English Civil War. A Parliamentarian artillery piece managed to smash the wall below the "Humpty Dumpty" which caused to go crashing to the ground. The Royalists could not replace it as it was so heavy, and Colchester eventually fell.

Humpty Dumpty was a term in the 15th-16th Century for obese people. And the "Humpty Dumpty" cannon was named as such because it was so big.

Great story! I love it. Does anyone know where the phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey" came from?

Okay, a cold war question. You are over Germany, circa late twentieth centry and you hear "Brass Monkey, Brass Monkey" on guard. What does that mean and what are you suppose to do?

Cannon balls were originally kept in a piece of metal called a monkey, normally made of brass. When metals get cold, they shrink so when the brass monkey was cold enough, the cannon balls would fall out because threy wouldn't fit

At least, I think that's where it came from

mosquitoman said:
Cannon balls were originally kept in a piece of metal called a monkey, normally made of brass. When metals get cold, they shrink so when the brass monkey was cold enough, the cannon balls would fall out because threy wouldn't fit

At least, I think that's where it came from

Thats' what I heard.

One of my friends in the aces assn. had been a P-47 squadron CO. He described jumping a formation of unidentified single-engine aircraft near Berlin c. April '45. Back at base the intel shop naturally asked what type a/c but nobody could ID them. The IO got out the recognition manual and started flipping pages. Nobody recognized anything from the German section. Ooops. The IO flipped to Russia. Finally the CO exclaimed "That's it! Whatever it was we got 13 of 'em!" Shturmoviks. (I've been unable to confirm the event via Russian aviation historians.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back