Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fighterplane

Recruit
May 8, 2020
How did the exact US Navy Pilot Uniform looked like (more specific in the Pacific area)?

I could find this photo, but that's all.

Does anybody got a detailed list with a description of every item those pilote wore during ww2?

Attachments

• 183F07FF-55E8-4B81-BD7A-3F4CA4CA4207.jpeg
    183F07FF-55E8-4B81-BD7A-3F4CA4CA4207.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,652
A lot of naval aviators carried Smith and Wesson .38 Special revolvers in place of the 1911A1 Pistols, other than that, it seems pretty complete.
Thank you for this info. You have any idea what type this Life Preserver is?

I would think that's a pretty good representation. Not sure how much more could be added.
I imagine some could be deleted. In hotter climates pilots probably shed some layers. British pilots, for example swopped out pants for shorts.

Box_art_FAA_pilot_75mm_LR.jpg

Though I expect the low shoes above were replaced by flying boots, like below.

30-Squadron-e1483433948106.jpg

Did USN or USMC pilots in the Pacific have the option to wear short pants?

I would think that's a pretty good representation. Not sure how much more could be added, unless you want to know what kind of underwear he wore.
I'd like to know what type of Life Preserver And parachute a USN pilote wore.
Was this the Mk. 1 Life preserver and B8 parachute, or something else?

I'd like to know what type of Life Preserver And parachute a USN pilote wore.
Was this the Mk. 1 Life preserver and B8 parachute, or something else?

Here are two articles from my website that should answer most, if not all, of your questions about what was worn by typical U.S. Navy and Marine airmen in the PTO:

Page 2

Page 167

I have read that Army (AAF) pilots were issued the same boots as regular GIs. Some had the opportunity to trade with the Australians for the fleece lined flying boots. They were warmer, but pilots said they tended to fly off at the shock of the parachute opening.

I have read that Army (AAF) pilots were issued the same boots as regular GIs. Some had the opportunity to trade with the Australians for the fleece lined flying boots. They were warmer, but pilots said they tended to fly off at the shock of the parachute opening.

It was not uncommon for Army, Navy, or Marine pilots to purchase a pair of commercially available boots, similar to the RAF 1936 fleece lined boot, made by Bedggood, when on leave in Australia.
You can see some photos of an original pair here, along with some vintage photos of them in use: Page 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back