US Navy trials with P-51H

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CATCH 22

Staff Sergeant
Sep 15, 2006
Canada
Hi Guys!

In the Joe Baugher's P-51 Mustang data one can find the following information:
A P-51H (44-64420) was borrowed by the US Navy In August of 1945 for trials to determine the type's suitability as a carrier-based fighter. The earlier P-51D had been deemed to be unsuitable because of the lack of adequate rudder control at low speeds, especially at high angles of attack. The tests proved that the P-51H did indeed provide adequate rudder control, but since the war was already over, the possibility of a carrier-based P-51H was not considered any further. A second P-51H 44-64192 was acquired by the Navy in 1948 for tests of various aerofoil shapes at transonic speeds at the Grumman Aircraft Corporation. While in Navy service, the plane became BuNo 09064. After the tests were over in 1952, the plane was transferred to the Air National Guard.

Are there any existing photos of the above two birds?

Note: There is a very good source with several photos about the trials with the navalized P-51D (ETF-51D) here:
The Naval Mustangs
No photos of the P-51H's though.

Regards!
Yves

The only info I have at all, regarding any of those aircraft, photographs or otherwise, is that 44-64420 crashed in Arizona on 22 November 1950 and two incidents were reported for 44-64192 in California on 18 August 1945 and 4 September 1945. Not sure of the details, though.

I'm sure someone here has better information or more details for you than I do. :)

The only info I have at all, regarding any of those aircraft, photographs or otherwise, is that 44-64420 crashed in Arizona on 22 November 1950 and two incidents were reported for 44-64192 in California on 18 August 1945 and 4 September 1945. Not sure of the details, though.

I'm sure someone here has better information or more details for you than I do. :)

Thank you GG!
I checked the landing accidents of 44-64192 and the TOAEF of 44-64420 ( the a/c was obviously completely destroyed) but as you already found they were before or after the naval tests. I started checking well known P-51H photos for serial numbers but have no success so far.
Hopefully someone has a clue...
Cheers!

Here's something of interest...

A book by Nicholas A. Veronico, titled: "Wreckchasing: A Guide To Finding aircraft Crash Sites" has a list of ten wreck sites visited. Included in the ten is a site visited in Arizona of a P-51H, chronicled by author Robert A. Kropp.

Here's the book's site: WRECKCHASING

I wonder if they have more information in the book?

As rare as the P-51H was, it has to be 44-64420!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back