USAAF Aerial Victory Credits Over Me-262 German Jets (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With some research on my part, I found Drew claimed 2 Me262s on Oct 7 1944. The same for Cummings on Feb 25 1945.

Great info
I was able to pick out a few from the Mike Williams site.

Some of the descriptions appear to describe other aircraft.
I saw one that described a turret on the jet, which would mean it was more likely an Arado.

Kind of shows how unfamiliar pilots were with the appearance of the newer jets of the time.

Bill

...I saw one that described a turret on the jet, which would mean it was more likely an Arado.
Kind of shows how unfamiliar pilots were with the appearance of the newer jets of the time.
The Ar234s that were armed, only had fixed rear armament in the tail that was sighted by a small periscopic sight situated by the pilot...no turrets

The Ar234s that were armed, only had fixed rear armament in the tail that was sighted by a small periscopic sight situated by the pilot...no turrets

How many Ar234s had this rear facing armament or which version(s)?

Speaking about the Me-262, watching a program on Youtube some days ago about the Me-262 and Me-163, the narrator claimed that approximately 700 Allied bombers were lost by Me-262 attacks.
I'm wondering if this figure might be accurate or maybe a little optimistic too taking into consideration the small number of jet fighters available, the acute shortages of fuel and experienced pilots in the last days of the war and their short operational life with the Luftwaffe.

How many Ar234s had this rear facing armament or which version(s)?
The armed version appeared on the Ar234B platform. The ones that were equipped (not all were built with armament), had 2 fixed MG151 cannon, facing to the rear. As far as how many were put into service, I'm not sure. I understand that a number of pilots preferred to have them removed in order to lighten the aircraft for increased speed.
There were a couple armed versions of the Ar234C, one was a multi-role version and the other was a photo-recon version (Ar234C-4) that had four fixed MG151 cannon facing to the rear.

Great info

I saw one that described a turret on the jet, which would mean it was more likely an Arado.

Bill

Not just unfamiliarity, at 3 or 400 mph, when the bomber in front starts shooting back, a pilot will assume, subconsciously that there is a turret. You certainly wouldn't be stopping to check out whether there was a fixed mounting or not. It's the same situation that led aircrews to describe light cruisers as battleships and battleships as carriers throughout the war, and other such verifiably false claims that combat veterans assert as being factual.

I have just discovered this forum and I see this is an old thread. But, just saying... The report, USAAF Aerial Victory Credits Over Me-262 German Jets, is inaccurate in regard to Gordon B. Compton. He had two confirmed aerial victories over ME 262s. His first, included in the report, was 2 Feb 1945. The second victory was 10 Apr 1945 at Dessau and Kothen airdrome. His encounter report contains his own statement and a confirmation statement from 2nd Lt. James McDermott. The credit was awarded to GB Compton on a Confirmation of Victory Credit dated 3 May 1945. I have his gun camera film with both victories. He was too humble to correct the record. Katy

I have just discovered this forum and I see this is an old thread. But, just saying... The report, USAAF Aerial Victory Credits Over Me-262 German Jets, is inaccurate in regard to Gordon B. Compton. He had two confirmed aerial victories over ME 262s. His first, included in the report, was 2 Feb 1945. The second victory was 10 Apr 1945 at Dessau and Kothen airdrome. His encounter report contains his own statement and a confirmation statement from 2nd Lt. James McDermott. The credit was awarded to GB Compton on a Confirmation of Victory Credit dated 3 May 1945. I have his gun camera film with both victories. He was too humble to correct the record. Katy

Katy - he can appeal to the USAF VCB at Maxwell AFB but it takes a Looooong time before they will even consider the case. What he needs is the 8th AF VCB confirmation paperwork -

Yes, he's my Dad. Although, my bad: I did discover they had his second one listed on the publication. Oops! I've been putting his personal effects together and must have gone cross eyed looking at papers and missed it. Katy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back