USS Olympia to be Sunk!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd rather see an Iowa Class BB AND a WW2 aircraft carrier sunk than lose the Olympia. We have 3 or 4 Iowas and what? 5 aircraft carriers?

There is only ONE Olympia!

Some late info I found on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The Independence Seaport Museum is seeking another non-profit organization to take over the ship and provide for her maintenance and restoration, but no such organization has been found. The US Navy has expressed its willingness to let the museum "responsibly dispose" of the vessel. This could result in the ship being transferred, sold as scrap, or sunk as a reef.

Plans were made to close Olympia to visitors on November 22, 2010, due to the poor material condition of the ship and a lack of operating funds.[36] These plans were scrapped, and Independence Seaport Museum agreed to keep the ship open with regular hours through 31 December, and then reduced hours through 31 March 2011.[37] The museum will hold a summit in early 2011 with the Navy, Navy Sea Systems Command, National Park Service, and the Pennsylvania Historical Museum Commission, to determine what steps can be taken to save the cruiser.

I hope they come up with something

We can make a video, and a website. lots of people could help gathering photos and getting music rights.

There can be a paypal button that goes straight to the bank account of Olympia

Lots of talented members on this site.. I'll put in some hours. I've mad videos for years and I can pinch out a website if I need too.

Hello everyone.

My name is Perry, and im a student at Cherry Hill East in Cherry Hill (Right outside of Philly). My AP History class was learning about the Spanish American War when we discussed The battle at Manila Bay and became inspired. Consequently, we have started a 'Save the Olympia' organization, and have been petitioning for the past few weeks. Out eventual goal is to gain public and media attention so we can lobby to congress. Thus far, we have gotten upwards of 3000 signatures and are still progressing.

The link to our website is : Save the U.S.S. Olympia

If you could print out a petition and bring it to your friends and family, then send it back to the PO box marked on the petition, it would be much appreciated.

Making history for the sake of keeping it,

Perry

I had a chnace to visit the Olympia quite a few times while living in New Jersey. She is a grand old ship. The problem is She has been docked for many years and all the restorations have been above the water line. From what I understand her bottom plates are about to rust away. She needs a complete dry docking and re-plating. That is where the expense comes in. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see her restored but I can understand the dilemma. If the government don't help I don't see how the funds can be raised. Its a shame, Mr Obama can give banks money with really no strings attached but can't see a way to save a piece of real American History !
Ed

I hope they find a solution soon.

As Ed said, I can understand the political dilemma - the RNZAF lost it's entire Strike wing for the same reasons - but so sad to see people STILL don't respect their history.

given whats happened to the NASA space program, i dont hold out much hope for this grand ship. Surely there are options other than sinking her

I remember talk of it being turned into a nightclub, don't remember if it happened but better an intact nightclub than a sunken reef. Remind me never to buy a used warship or ocean liner please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back