V-1 with wing-tip take-off assist rockets? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KSTinMB

Recruit
Feb 13, 2022
In the YooToob video "WW2 Stories From An RAF Ace | Captain Brown | Timeline", at 24:55, a V-1 launch filmed from the rear shows what looks like the exhaust of additional rockets, one on the tip of each wing, with flame and sparks, and they are visible on through the end of the clip.
In this launch, are these rockets real? Or has the video segment been altered, either on the film or negative, or digitally?
If the clip is genuine, were the additional rockets used in combat? Were these V-1s with assist rockets produced in any large numbers? Where were they seen? It must have made "V-1 tipping" with the wing of a fighter even more challenging.
Thx,

Link to the launch in this video:
WW2 Stories From An RAF Ace | Captain Brown | Timeline

V1.1.jpg

V1.2.jpg

V1.3.jpg

Could those have been flares attached to the wing tip to track the "doodle bug" during testing? The dial looks like it's part of a test set-up.

Yup, it sure was. The flares on the wing tips of the Fi 103 were a means of illumination for tracking in flight. The footage is likely to have been taken at Peenemunde, at the northeastern shore facility specially built at Peenemunde-West for the Kirschkern (Cherrystone) programme, where the bulk of the testing was done, although fuse testing was done at Udetfeld in southern Poland.

I didn't know that. I had thought all testing of the V-1was done at Peenemunde

Most of it was, but transfer of some of the testing went to the E-Stelle Udetfeld, owing, I read in a book, to the terrain at Peenemunde being less suitable for fuse testing. Long range trials were also carried out from Udetfeld to determine probable circle of impact, with the flight path of the missiles being tracked by ground based radar units.

Udetfeld was formerly known as E-Stelle Oberschlesien, located near Beuthen, Oberschlesien, or Upper Silesia, formerly Prussia, but now a part of Poland and a wee bit in Czech Republic. Beuthen is today known as Bytom and there was a big weapons firing range near there where bombs and other explosives were tested.

The RATO units used by the Luftwaffe were fairly large devices and produced more smoke than flame.

Here's an Ar234 jet equipped with one under each wing. Bigger aircraft, like the Me321 used about six (3 under each wing).

Ar234B_rato.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back