V-2 rocket bomb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Short document on the V-2 rocket bomb

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• V-2.pdf
    538.6 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I've heard the V1 being called the buzz bomb and doodlebug but I haven't heard of any nicknames for the V2.
confused0082.gif

Wheels

Thats because it just went bang and most people in the begining thought they were land mines going off It was only later that the V2 rocket info was released as telling the public that there was no way of stopping them was not very good for moral

They would be pretty hard to spot, as they reached 2 1/2 times the speed of sound in thier terminal dive.

The V1s were no where near as fast, and made a distinctive sound as they cruised along. Once the V1's engine cut out, people knew it was about to dive, so they had a little warning.

What I mean is how would you make the leap that it was a landmine ?
I fully believe that people thought that at the time but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Especially when they hit in the middle of the city where no landmines would have been placed.

I guess a mine sounds better to the public than an unstoppable weapon anyday.

Wheels

Ahh...I see what you're asking.

They had no idea what the heck was going on at first. These things were coming in undetected, no one had a clue. The landmine theory was the only explanation that made sense at the time.

There was even speculation for a short time that the Germans were using a "Paris" gun (Like the Gustav), but the ranges were too extreme for a "Schwerer" gun and the shells made a distinct sound in flight, so that was quickly ruled out.

I wonder what would possess them to think it was landmines ?
Were there that many unmarked minefields dotting the countryside ?
Wheels

In the UK landmines was a name the civvies gave to the Parachute mines that were dropped in large numbers. these had a delayed action fuse and would detonate after a variable predetermined period if the mine layed undiscovered (woodland ,old bombsites, warehouses etc) there would just be a huge explosions with no enemy aircraft around.

Attachments

• An_unexploded_parachute_mine_sits_in_a_garden_on_Score_Lane_Childwall_28_November_1940.jpg
    An_unexploded_parachute_mine_sits_in_a_garden_on_Score_Lane_Childwall_28_November_1940.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 0777.jpg
    0777.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 240
...which was driven by a pulsed jet motor, which kind of put-putted along with a very characteristic noise, easily detectible on the ground. When it went quiet it was out of fuel and time to take cover.

The V1 flew, thanks to small wings, and was slow enough to be intercepted by the faster fighter planes. The V2 was, as described, a ballistic missile and travelled very quickly and virtually silently from the point of view of ground observers.

The initial assumption that V2 damage was due to land (parachute) mines was also reasonable because of the extent of the damage and lack of warning. Land mines contained large amounts of explosive (see the picture above) and would level complete streets with little warning if the mine hadn't been detected.

Listened to many stories from my uncles and aunts on the subject when I was young, it was recent history experienced by many ordinary people. All gone now, unfortunately. :(

Lost me dad the other year Steve but my mum is still about and where she lives and I grew up (Brentwood), it got a fair pasteing by the Luftwaffa and she has told me of several landmines and Doodlebugs that went off there. The Church (St Thomases) has a high spire and the enemy aircraft would do a turn right over it then follow the rail lines into the east end of London but sometimes it was the Ilford Selo factory, that made X-ray and recon film in the town that was the target.
For a small place it lost quite a few civvies during the raids and ofcourse if things got too hot approaching the smoke (London), Brentwood made a good secondary target on the way back.

In the UK landmines was a name the civvies gave to the Parachute mines that were dropped in large numbers. these had a delayed action fuse and would detonate after a variable predetermined period if the mine layed undiscovered (woodland ,old bombsites, warehouses etc) there would just be a huge explosions with no enemy aircraft around.

Nasty device, mostly aimed against civilian population I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back