valkiye

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fly boy

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2008
as you may know valkiye just came out and i was wondering is it at all good?

After seeing the movie, I don't know... There is some good parts, but at some points the movie is, dare I say, boring. And the guy playing Hitler was not convincing at all. Just my personal impression, though. Maybe I just had higher expectations.

In my subjective opinion "Der Untergang" is far better movie then Valkyrie.

After seeing the movie, I don't know... There is some good parts, but at some points the movie is, dare I say, boring. And the guy playing Hitler was not convincing at all. Just my personal impression, though. Maybe I just had higher expectations.

They definitely could have found a better person to play Hitler.

Valkyrie was much better then I anticipated it being. I almost forgot that was Tom Cruise, almost. Some parts were very well done, such as the Reserve Regiments in Berlin and the Ju-52 and the scene on the Eastern Front. To me Hitler seemed convincing as well as Goebbels, but Goerring looked like an Italian crime boss.

On a side note; and I'm not picking on you. You really should try harder to work on your typing. I am thrilled that someone of your age is as smart as you are and interested in history.

Valkyrie was much better then I anticipated it being. I almost forgot that was Tom Cruise, almost. Some parts were very well done, such as the Reserve Regiments in Berlin and the Ju-52 and the scene on the Eastern Front. To me Hitler seemed convincing as well as Goebbels, but Goerring looked like an Italian crime boss.

On a side note; and I'm not picking on you. You really should try harder to work on your typing. I am thrilled that someone of your age is as smart as you are and interested in history.
Are you talking about me?

If you choose to see this movie, do not expect to see a spy movie with tons of shooting and action. This movie focuses more on the planning and the political ratifications of the plot. I went with my brother and dad and my brother said that he got bored because he expected it to be a spy movie like Mission Impossible of The Borne Ultimatum. Instead, Valkyrie is a quieter movie about the politics behind an assassination attempt. That being said, the actors in Valkyrie are very good and carry much of the script to make it very believable and exciting. The whole story is very tense and suspenseful, but this constant suspense more than makes up for the lack of straight action. Rather, the "action" is caused by the emotions and suspense of the situations that the characters constantly find themselves in. At times in the theatre is was completely silent, and I was pretty sure most of the people weren't breathing. I sure wasn't. Also, this is not an exactly happy story. If you see this movie knows about the history of the event, they know how it ends, but I won't reveal that to you, just so I don't ruin the movie. Overall, I really liked this movie. I found the politics of the whole affair interesting and exciting as well as the constant feeling of suspense. But if your a person who would rather see a good shoot-em-up movie, Valkyrie may not be for you, it is rather oriented to people who would find the politics and intrigue interesting and exciting.

It was a good movie, I watched it last night. I did not buy Tom Cruise as a German officer, maybe that is because he just has really lost a lot of credit with me due to some of his shennigans he has pulled in the last few years. Overall the movie was good, the locations and scenes were extremely accurate and believable.

It is a very good movie... I consider it to be the best WWII movie ever.!

You are kidding right?

It is a decent movie, but it does not portray all the characters historically very well. It is a typical Hollywood adaption to a true story.

If you think that it is the best movie about WW2, you might want to check out some more movies.

Der Untergang is an excellent movie! Done very well. I own it on DVD, you have to watch it in German though (if you do not understand it, turn on the subtitles in English).

Last edited:
Der Untergang is an excellent movie! Done very well. I own it on DVD, you have to watch it in German though (if you do not understand it, turn on the subtitles in English).

I couldn't agree with you more, Adler! Excellent movie indeed. Actually, I like the fact that this movie is in German language. Its even more authentic because of that.

Yep, agree with the above two comments. Valkyrie wasn't a bad film and was a good portrayal of the politics and goings on behind the Staffenburg Plot but it is not even in my top 10 of great war films. There are many that are much better than it, go and watch a lot more war films.

Agree 100% Gnomey, imalko, adler, everyone else. This was a interesting look behind the scenes, but not anywhere near the beat war film of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back