'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As you have probably read, Typhoon has won a massive new contract for the SAF. This follows the earlier Lightning and Tornado fighter contracts so was not all that surprising.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9067-1953223,00.html

When you read this, remember it is from one of the UK's most prestigious newspapers. See where it calls the French fighter, the 'Rafael'? Hmm, unimpressive lads!

Hopefully it will lead to other sales.

So, here are some clips I found on the HD. On another note, interesting that the Typhoon reverts to a parachute. No thrust reversers like the Tornado. I like that about the Tornado, the way its nose goes down as it brakes to a stop. Especially in the wet. No chute to collect, interfere with following planes or to repack either. With that canard plus brakes etc I'd have thought the Typhoon did not need a chute.

Attachments

• _dvcr002_121.wmv
    604.6 KB · Views: 66
  • _dvcr003_123.wmv
    857.1 KB · Views: 53
  • _dvcr004_169.wmv
    957.2 KB · Views: 36
Some good typhoon footage there, reminds me of te computer game EF2000 from laround '95, used to spend ages playing that, I still have it on my hard drive I think, pretty good for it's time but outdated now.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Typhoon also has the provision for or maybe even mounting points for a tail hook so an arrestor wire system (like on aircraft carriers) could be used on a short airfield, I don't think they are fitted at the moment though.

Interesting. One of the incidental things about the RAF getting ex-RN planes like the Bucc and F4 was the arrestor hook. But you also have to have the arrestor gear on the airfield. So not much use every time you have to divert. Obviously didn't prove that much of a plus otherwise it would have been in the RAF Typhoon spec.

I wonder tho about the Typhoon going aboard the new carriers. The Rafale is carrier qualified. Now that the JASF is uncertain maybe the RN FAA will also become a Typhoon customer... not quite the plane they want tho I suspect.

I can't belive that there have been no downloads of the previous video. This one and the one attached will make you stop and wonder. Gasp maybe.

Oh well.

Meanwhile I have been watching the new Discovery Wings series 'Jetstream'.
It is a splendid compilation of features on planes crammed into half and hour. This one has the Hurricane, Merlin helo, ADV Tornado and Jaguar etc.

If anyone out there from DW is reading this... fat chance... then congrats but please let's have less music and more plane noises, longer cuts, plus a commentator who gets the emphasis in the right place, gawd it drives me mad. Was this the first take? I can't explain what I mean in writing here but fellow Brits will know what I mean.

Lastly, I caught a news item on local TV about their rolling out the refurbished (about time) TSR2 at IWM Duxford. So i will try to make a clip of it to post here.

Finally, Happy Xmas to all the great guys at WW2aircraft.net... might post another one tomorrow... got a longer one to keep you amused because the Smas TV is usually so dire here.

Attachments

• b17-gb4_187.mpg
    19 MB · Views: 73
Connie - the exquisite Lockheed Constellation is one of my fave planes. Saw this one over the house when it came to the UK a few years ago. Shame we don't have one in a museum here.

Attachments

• connie-riat98_1_590.wmv
    505.7 KB · Views: 57
Thank god there is an alternative to xmas tv, I've only just got back from visiting family so I suppose that explains the lack of downloads.

Also maybe not as many people have unlimited 8meg broadband (like me :twisted: ) and are hitting their download limits.

Good work all the same, good to see the old Connie as well, always reminds me of a graceful swan in flight, very majestic and beautiful, back when you could really travel in style :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back