„Volksjäger“ (people fighter) Heinkel He 162 in 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have "lurked" on hundreds of threads like this one, on dozens of different boards and have never before been motivated to post an "attaboy".

The detail work in these pictures is unbelieveable...I'm guessing you may have won the odd modeling contest (or ten) here and there?

Wow...:notworthy:

Ron

Edit: An honest question? I couldn't help but noticing that despite all the effort you've put into literally duplicating every single nut, bolt and rivet...there is no hakenkreuz on the fin. Is this a personal choice? Or are there restrictions in place that will prevent you from entering the finished piece in competitions, if it bears the "twisted cross"?

Last edited:
Once again many thanks to all.

I have "lurked" on hundreds of threads like this one, on dozens of different boards and have never before been motivated to post an "attaboy".

The detail work in these pictures is unbelieveable...I'm guessing you may have won the odd modeling contest (or ten) here and there?

Wow...:notworthy:

Ron

Edit: An honest question? I couldn't help but noticing that despite all the effort you've put into literally duplicating every single nut, bolt and rivet...there is no hakenkreuz on the fin. Is this a personal choice? Or are there restrictions in place that will prevent you from entering the finished piece in competitions, if it bears the "twisted cross"?

In Germany it is forbidden to show the swastika on models. This is a law. I have to decide if I, the swastika is not affixes, or covering later on the model.

<snip>In Germany it is forbidden to show the swastika on models. This is a law. I have to decide if I, the swastika is not affixes, or covering later on the model.
Thanks for the reply Bernd...I knew about the prohibition on the swastika in your country and I know that they don't display it on the box art anymore, but I didn't know that you were even prohibited from displaying it in an "artistic" way. I guess you could always do it up accurately and just put a little square of tape on it if you're going to enter it in shows. I lived in your country (as a child) in the early 1970's (Lahr and Baden-Soellingen)...us Canadian kids got swastikas in our model kits back then... ;)
Looking forward to seeing the completed build!

Cheers, Ron

I love this thread! This is superb modelling well done!
This is by far the best forum I have ever been on, hence I am proud to be a member. The modellers on here blow me away... so I shall stick to my big toys I think!!
Here are my He162 grips

Attachments

• P1040711.jpg
    P1040711.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Again I did the coils by winding from thin wire. The inner rods for the coils were cemented on one side only. So the coils could be mounted
after painting the legs by careful bending of the rods.

The pic shows a dry fit before painting:

40022645ag4.jpg

The completed legs after painting:

15730574au7.jpg

The hydraulics which will be mounted to the bottom of the bay.

11iz5.jpg

Meanwhile the front bulkhead with all details and paint is ready:

neu-4.jpg

The hydraulics are in their position:

14xd1.jpg

The covers of the oval holes are made of aluminum foil which stemmed from Chinese meal covers. Select your meals carefullyt they may be useful for modelling.
First I formed it through the backside of the holes with the end of a paintbrush. Than I turned them around and cemented them in. These covers are unpainted on the French Heinkel so I did not paint them.

15aw7.jpg

The spring legs in their place complemented by wiring.

17wi4.jpg

One more pic of the construction level minus minor parts:

18ws7.jpg

Some under carriage parts I had to improve too.

neu-5.jpg

All parts on their place. The cable pulls had to be moved. Supports for the cable pulls were added.

neu-1-4.jpg

Finished and painted undercarriage legs complete with wiring:
The tires are not flatted because the plane rests on jacks and they don't touch the bottom.

31662997cm0.jpg

96065380ga5.jpg

Next came this main cable and two braces made from hollow needles.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

The last two parts are placed into the main undercarriage bay:

Unbenannt-2.jpg

Detail view:

74366281ok5.jpg

A last view before the bay bottom is mounted:

49870014uh9.jpg

(For German Austrian Dutch members the url of the hobby shop, where you get this small nuts, screws and washers:
http://www.modellbauershop.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.modellbauershop.de/index2.html)

For a change I did some accessories for the diorama. The maintenance of the plane will be done in a hangar from which only a wall will be shown.
For the repair shop I used parts of the "Feld-Werkstatt" 1:35 from Italeri the rest is scratch.
This barrel was my first try in getting rust with the salt -sugar method augmented by a little graphite powder. The contrast between color and the rust could be just a little bit sharper.

95970309mn1.jpg

On these jacks the empennage of the fighter will be placed.

12683724mh1.jpg

How it should look when completed:

32204161oc7.jpg

The workbench scratched from plastic sheet:
Later a parallel wise from Italeri will be added.

20950217pt6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back